drapper and samba

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by deadspeak, Aug 5, 2006.

1. deadspeak

deadspeak Bit Poster

hey guys

just managed to get a fully working duel boot set up, up and running, with Ubuntu 6.06 and windows xp.
    here's my set up: Office with duel boot windows xp home and ubuntu 6.06 with 2 Ide drives and 1 Sata. 1 ide is partitioned with Ntfs and Linux, both other drives Ntfs.
    Media centre system (in airing cupboard) with 1 drive ntfs, both systems hardwired via router.
    the problem i have is that i want the media centre to be able to read files from the Sata drive in the office (when booted into linux) an serve those video files to my media extender. i have samba set up and the Sata drive set to share and i can see the machine in my network neighbohood but it does'nt give any actual files to browse.
    hope someone can help, as this is my first real foray into linux land, and i've taken ages to get this all working, if i can't get this sorted i may well be tempted back to the easy life of windows AHHHHHH

Paul

Attached Files:

Certifications: Staring out
    WIP: Looking into Comptia A+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am not a Linux guru but a quick google found this article..

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/softwareapplicationstools/l/aa062499.htm

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. deadspeak

deadspeak Bit Poster

just tryed the various suggestions, mapping drive etc, in each thing the drives appears but won't give me any folders to view..

Paul

4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Post, or attach to a post, a copy of your /etc/smb.conf file. Also, how are you trying to set up the share security? By that I mean what type of share are you using as there are several ways to set up share security: user, share, domain, and Active Directory. Each way of setting things up requires different configurations and different software packages.

Did you compile Samba from source or install binaries. If you installed binaries what all packages did you install when you installed Samba? If you compiled from source what flags did you set?

Have you gone to the Samba site and downloaded the Official Samba HOWto and the Samba by Example books? They are very good at telling you how to configure Samba as they were written by one of the main people behind Samba's development. He knows Samba inside and out. The Samba by Example book will give you exact examples of how to set up Samba for user, share, and domain security. I highly recommend it to you.

Samba is one of those things that you need a game plan of what you want to end up with before you start. It's a complex server that is doing a very difficult job: translating Windows version of networking into networking proper and making them work together. It's amazing how many people make, or try to make, Samba their first Linux project and then want to give up because it is a difficult task. That being said Samba was one of my first projects too. But, I wasn't about to let one difficult task scare me away from Linux as I started learning Linux to improve my computing skills.

It took me quite a while to set up my first AD integrated Samba server, but a lot of that was because the developers were sitll working out the bugs in things like Kerberos and Windbind, and that made for lots of communication issues.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Like freddy said a Samba Project first up is difficult - but hey give it a try. I use debian (Ubuntu is based on debian) so you lucky that i did a tutorial. Click here to see it.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

and if you looking for more server setups have a look at Server Setups

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. deadspeak

deadspeak Bit Poster

thanks guys

i've got to go away for a couple of days, so i'll give it a try when i get back. fingers cross i'll get it sorted, if not i'll speak to you again soon

Paul

8. deadspeak

deadspeak Bit Poster

thanks for the advice guys. have solved the problem all i neede to do was to go into My network places then look at view work group computers then when i tryed to acces my samba machine i was promted for use name and password which i gave, it is now fully accessable.
    yipee

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Congratulations that's cool 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)