Dragon Age 2

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by Fergal1982, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

So, I had my copies of DA2 Signature Ed delivered on Friday.

I needed to complete the DAO DLC before I started playing DA2, so by the time I had completed that, it was about 4 on Saturday.

Fired up a Rogue, and am currently running with Justers, Merril, Aveline, and myself. It's working pretty well so far. I'm about 15 hours in, and the missus has racked up 19 or thereabouts.

I have to say I'm loving it so far. I was a little apprehensive about the reduced inventory system of the companions, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared.

There's a lot I have to say I love. The combat system feels more flowy, and I'm not entirely sure why. After all, it is largely the same system as DAO. Perhaps it is the restricted view (no top down), although I haven't wanted to use this yet anyway. I think it might just be that the combat animations are much, much more detailed, and feel more fluid.

So what do you guys think so far? A lot of people on the bioware forum appear to be slating it, but I actually enjoy it, and think it's a step forward over DAO.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I love the combat system too
    thats the part of the demo that made me want to get it
    i'm annoyed that all my awesome items from DAO can't be used by my companions, they are locked to my char who is not a warrior, and being I have Dragon armor, Imperiam Helm, a few two handed swords etc.. it all kinda is just taking up space :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Got mine on Friday also (was off), while (imo) the game play is slightly different than DAO I still love the game. I'm waking up at 5 and playing the game before work, currently on act 2 (so about 1/3 way thru the game).

I'm a mage, however who I run around with it dependant on the quest.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Fergal1982

I agree, that is a bit of a pain. I wanted to hand the Blood Dragon armor to someone. It just means that you have to play another character to get the benefit of those items.

Currently running as a sarcy git, but generally nice.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  5. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Rogue is the best of the classes among them. Not only lightning quick but also deadly in close combat especially
    while using scythe i think. Compared to first game, combat mechaniques seemed much improved. However,
    this game will not keep up with Witcher 2

Certifications: CCNA
  6. Fergal1982

Except Scythe is a warrior ability, not a rogue ability...

7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

You have a wife that plays games. Thought they were just a myth. My missus struggles with Angry Birds lol

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  8. Fergal1982

We used to sit playing Wow together, and she quite happily plays DA, or saunters through to play on the xbox (kinect at the moment it seems). Of the two of us, it's her that is most likely to fire up an online Slayer match in Halo.

9. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Your a very luck man Fergal. Hold onto her mate until at least she gets better than you at Halo :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  10. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Sorry, i would say "rush"

11. Fergal1982

I haven't picked up rush yet. I have stealth (although part of me wishes I hadn't. It's not as good an ability as I had imagined).

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have never got around to play DAO. I have been told it was good should I get DAO then DAO2 or just jump into DAO2?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. Fergal1982

They are related stories, but only touch on smaller issues for the most part. I would play DAO first, but that's cause it's still a great game.

14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Cool think I will get it then, I'll get the one with the DLCs included since its only £12 in my local games station.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

On the contrary to action lovers, people such as you, RPG freaks had criticised this sequel without any mercy at
    several forums. Do you think the game is worthy of taking deadly hits like this i mentioned?

16. Fergal1982

Each to their own. I happen to really like it, and I'm into my RPG's. Many dont like it because its "dumbed down". But I found that the combat was much more engaging, and the simplifications (both in terms of gameplay and UI) enables me to focus much more on the story, than on what I need to do in my inventory.

17. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

hey i can not touch Isabela at night in Hightown without dealing hordes of thugs around. Mission name is
    "Fools Rush in". Any other way to touch her?:biggrin

18. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I've finished the first play through and I enjoyed it, but I go the sense that Hawkes story is going to continue in quite a big way, more so then the Champion's did in the first one. I dont know if this well be an ad on like awakingings or DA3.

I found the map resuse to be fine, what irritated me about it was the not removing the closed off paths from the mini map.

There are some interesting decisions to make and I am not sure at the end which one the right one is, but then I guess that is the point.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  19. Fergal1982

Yeah, I just finished my first play-through too.

I ended up playing a generally sarcy, but good where it counts rogue.
    Sided with the mages the where I could (romanced Merrill), but I switched sides when Anders blew up the Chantry. I couldn't let that lie, so I shoved my knife into his back. I thought that was going to make the rest hard, but I had a fairly straightforward time of it to be honest.

Just starting a mage, motivated by money, and into personal power and gain. I'm thinking of trying
    Merrill
    as a tank. I reckon built right she could do alright. My only decision right now is which tree to pick first...

The other half started with a mage, but essentially played the same persona. She's now going for a mage-hating (and I mean hating) warrior.

20. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

You didn't listen to me, whatever. I got past the place where i met Isabela second time. Progressed a little
    ,nevertheless, this time i am stuck at Secret Rendezvous mission. Fckin' ship captain which is an assassin
    backstabs me by leaving me unconscious and defenseless. A little later my all characters are killed cos
    this idiot works much. Any help?

My squad consist of Isabela, Hawke, Bethany and Anders (the others are waiting as a successor)