Draconian copyright law in Australia amended, then passed.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Dec 5, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Australia was about to pass the most draconian copyright law in history, but thanks to a huge outcry from industry and the public the law has been passed in a very modified form. Take a look at the first few paragraphs of what the Internet Industry Association (IAA) had to say about this law in its original form in this news release.

What follows is the first few paragraphs from a 2 page article by Asher Moses on smh.com.au.

I'd say it's time for anyone who cares about their freedoms, no matter where they live, to start getting active in protesting what is being done to/with our liberties. This case in Australia shows what can be done if enough of a public outcry is raised. People just have to give a rip whether or not they want to be free to be successful in defeating these oppressive, corporation-sponsored laws.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

My sympathy for 'em might be a bit deeper if they hadn't just screwed us out of the Ashes - so balls to 'em!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

A lot of the legislation here is draconian and poorly thought through. I have been a victim of the silly laws here. For example because of a poorly thought out bit of legislation, I had to re-take my driving test. I had been driving for 29 years! I lost my motorcycle license, because according to their laws, I needed to get a QLD one within three months of becoming a permanent resident. I became a permanent resident six months prior to leaving England, so that proviso was impossible for me to accomplish. Their smoking laws are equally draconian, you can't drink in the designated smoking areas in pubs and you can't smoke in the drinking areas, hence you are parted from your chosen beverage, leaving it there for some idiot to spike.

This is bureaucracy gone mad and these new copyright laws are just another example of their stupidity.

This is not a free country.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

LMAO there Pete. You want to try coming back to Blighty for a bit? If you think Oz isn't a free country...

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Believe it or not I think it's worse here. Though I do love the place, it's clear to me, the various levels of government have their heads up their ar$es :wink:

6. ffreeloader

I guess I just fail to understand what you are saying.

What are "the Ashes"?

Are you mad at Aussies over something? If so, what do individual Aussies have to do with your freedoms being taken away by multi-national corporations?

Or, do you feel bad that the law wasn't passed and you have some sympathy for the big corporations? Doubtful, from what I've read from you, but I'm trying to figure out the gist of what you said.

7. ffreeloader

Well, as stupid as that law is, you can get around that law and have more money in your pocket to boot.

The way I see it you have three choices: 1. Quit smoking. 2. Quit drinking. 3. Quit drinking and smoking. Any of the 3 will leave you with more money in your pocket than you now have.... :twisted: :biggrin :biggrin

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I know, and therein lies the rub because that is what they 'the powers that be' are trying to force me and others to do, quit doing what we enjoy doing - it's not going to happen anytime soon.

However, money is not the issue for me it's freedom of choice, to be able to do what I chose to do. I don't mind smoking outside in the open air so as to avoid the passive smoking brigade but I do mind not being able to sip my wine whilst I am in that grubby quarantined zone.

The ebbing away of civil liberties which affect me and a large percentage of the population is obvious. What is not so obvious is how to stem the tide.

9. ffreeloader

LOL. I know why you take offense to the law. I take offense at the same kinds of laws. I just couldn't resist tugging at your lega a little to see just how far your sense of humor goes.

I see it doesn't go very far in this area.... :biggrin

Neither does mine....

10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I strongly suspect that Zeb was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek. :biggrin

'The Ashes' are reputedly the remains of a set of bails (the top bits of a set of cricket stumps) in a small urn. They were placed there long ago when somebody proclaimed "The death of English Cricket" (or something similar).

The official cricket games between England and Australia have ever since been called 'The Ashes', although that is properly the name of the trophy.

Harry (writing from memory without looking things up - so I may have a few things not quite right)

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

HHGTTG?
    :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

No - real life. HHGTTG was parodying the myths and history of cricket.

Edit - I thought I'd include this link.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. ffreeloader

Being ignorant of all things related to cricket, I made neither heads nor tails of that article due to every cricket term used being incomprehensible to me. :blink

You might as well have sent me to a site written in Chinese, Harry. I have nothing to relate any of those terms to.

pitch -- something a pitcher throws during a baseball game or a salesman uses in an attempt to sell his products

wicket -- wicked misspelled?

bowling -- a game played with ten pins and a large ball that is rolled down a highly polished wooden lane

bowled -- played a game of bowling or knocked someone/something over through haste or clumisness

wet pitch -- a pitch thrown by a pitcher in a baseball game who has used his spit as a foreign substance on the baseball to gain an unfair advantage against a hitter.

first wicket -- original sin?

crease -- what you iron into a pair of slacks to make them appear "dressier".

"Pat down the wicket" -- check out that original sin to see if it is carrying a weapon

Took the ball and took off the bails -- a typo that should read "took the ball and used it to take of his opponents balls".

Jones was given out -- to whom?

clean bowling -- taking a bath before you go bowling

six wickets fell -- six of the original 7 deadly sins were conquered

took 16 wickets for 137 runs -- this guy found 16 wicked ways and tried them out in 137 different ways

wickets fell at regular intervals -- sins were conquered on a regular basis

12 successive maiden overs -- this guy found 12 virgins in a row to deflower--relates to all the wickeds I suppose

Anyway, that's what I got out of that article.... :twisted:

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

LMAO :D

Well it's obvious that you and I now have a far better understanding of cricket and you didn't even attempt to clarify what is meant by all the innings, the outs, the silly mid on or a googly - thanks for the explanation - it's way clearer to me now too :twisted: