Downtime - game

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by Melissa.intel, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Melissa.intel

Melissa.intel New Member

Hey guys

I am doing some work for IT Manager III: Unseen Forces and thought you might be interested in having a play on a simulation game that puts you in the role of an IT manager.

Let me know how you get on...

Melissa

2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Your Modalpopup hates me, I can't see the bottom of it on IE8(tried compatibility mode with the same results)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
    Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I had no probs running it in IE8. Got to day 2 and gave up... nice for a few minutes, but doesn't really 'float my boat'. Sorry Melissa.

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That's pretty clever, but not as much fun as the one where you have to run a burger chain.

I'm not really sure that I want a 'game' that simulates the drudgery of my everyday life though.
    If you want to make it fun, you should at least let us kill staff, reboot their machines remotely and generally mess with their heads.
    The only options you provide are helpful ones, and that's not the game at all.

Where's the button that says 'bamboozle with jargon and make to feel foolish'?

And I'm not sure that feeding staff sandwiches in the canteen comes under the remit of IT staff.
    I tried rebooting the vending machines and couldn't. That's annoying.

Anyway, hope to continue with some more meaningful feedback if you ever come back after seeding your link across the Interweb! :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Melissa.intel

Melissa.intel New Member

I am still around to post! Glad you are all enjoying the game!

ThomasMC - not sure why it is doing this to you however as a quick solution perhaps reduce the width of their IE 8 top panel by hiding toolbars you aren't using. That should move everything on the page up. I can look into it in more detail if you want.

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Glad you're still here!

Nothing worse than when someone posts something for comment and then vanishes...

I'm serious about the added funtionality of being able to kill end users.
    I don't think it would be too difficult to implement.

I'm not sure what method would be best.
    I was thinking maybe a sniper rifle in the air vent, but I'm aware that this isn't very IT.
    Could we do some kind of power feedback through the workstation and electrocute them?
    I haven't played the game for long enough, but would it be possible to kill an employee by not feeding them like in the Sims?

I don't know how Intel feels about killing people, so maybe we could just have the option to spit in their sandwiches or something if they have annoyed you?

I am happy to work with you on further development as I have lots of ideas.

7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I'm liking where your going with this, how about a power jargon button, if you press it 3 times in a row you see the users head explode with a jargon overload.

8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

lmao at "jargonality"

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. Melissa.intel

Melissa.intel New Member

I will pass on all feedback to Intel - enjoy playing!!

Another cool site is Inside the Game. You can recreate explosions that are in computers yourself and find out exactly how they do it.

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi Melissa.

I just wanted to say thanks for letting me do the beta testing for your new games.
    I tried phoning Intel to speak to you, but they weren't sure which Melissa I wanted.

I've almost finished writing up my notes on the first game.
    There's quite a few of them as I had to include screenshots.
    I was up most of the night playing, then because I had been in work all last night I've had to take today off!
    It was really funny - I didn't want to tell my boss that I was working for Intel now so I petended to be sick.

Where do you want me to send the notes when they're finished? Or I can email them I guess.

I was thinking.
    Maybe your IT support people in the game (the first one, I'll try and get the second one done over the weekend) could wear shiney coloured radiation suits and dance like MC Hammer? I think that would help with brand identity. Or am I thinking of AMD?

Last week a member of staff told me their PC wasn't working, but it turned out that the photocopier was out of paper. I noticed that you didn't have that scenario in your game so maybe you could feed that back to the developers so there isn't any embarassment after. :oops:

Anyway.
    Where do we go with this now?
    I feel that I should maybe sit in on some of the meetings. It's not always easy to get things across in emails.
    Would I need to come to the US or India?
    I guess I could, but as I say, I haven't told my boss yet until I've got something in writing.

Teh last section of my notes has got my suggestions for killing staff.
    I know Intel may find some of them unsuitable or possibly a bit unnecessarily cruel, but I think it's important to be realistic in a simulation don't you?

Anyway, I'll get the second game written up this weekend hopefully.
    Do you have a fax machine?

Talk soon.

11. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

:lolbang

12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Nothing wrong with being helpful. :dry

13. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Nothing worng, but certainly something hilarious :p

If you need more suggestions for employee death scenarios then I'd suggest reading this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/odds/bofh/

I can see this game being fantastic, an IT professional focussed version of the Hitman games almost :twisted:

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  14. Melissa.intel

Melissa.intel New Member

Thanks for all the feedback - it's great to see how passionate you are about the game...I will pass it onto the development team.

15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi Melissa.

Happy to help.
    Would you like me to talk directly to the development team?
    I'm sure you've got other work to do.

I feel that I should get to know them better if we are going to be working together in the future.

I was just checking online to see how much the flight would cost but I couldn't figure it out because I don't know what country you are in. If you could let me know what the nearest airport is, that would be great.

Is there a hotel near the office?
    I'd rather not have to hire a car because I'm not very good at driving in other countries.

Will I be able to claim the flight on expenses?
    I don't mind, but I just thought I'd ask.

@josiahb - thanks for the link mate.
    I already have lots of ideas for killing staff, but it's good to do proper research when you are beta testing games like me. I think that Intel would prefer more authentic deaths in their games. Some of mine are quite elaborate because that's how the voices describe them to me. Maybe Intel won't like that so much - I think they'd prefer something more believable. After all, this is a business simulation and not like the 'hitman' game you mention. I don't think that would be a suitable comparison, but thank you for your input. I'm not sure if Intel are looking for any more beta testers, but if you like I'll be happy to put in a good word for you when I get there.

16. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi Melissa.

I've finished writing up my notes for you.
    I know you are busy so you haven't had chance to send me your contact details yet, so I've sent them by DHL to the Santa Clara office. We've got a postal strike on at the moment and I thought you'd want them as soon as possible. The parcel is marked 'FAO Melissa' so I'm sure someone there will pass it on to you.

As promised I'm going to do the other one this weekend, but my wife isn't very happy.
    I've told her that Intel is a very big company and sometimes you've just got to do what you've got to do.

Just a quick question.
    Is it safe to create explosions inside your computer?
    The demo looks a bit frightening. Should I upgrade my anti-virus first?

Talk soon.

17. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

You have PM melissa. I didnt mind the game at all :thumbleft

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi Mallet.

Please can you make sure that you CC me in on any PMs to Melissa?
    I just need to keep in the loop and it will help save time in our future meetings.

Thanks.

19. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Watch that mallet one, he looks as if hes angling for your job Jonny :biggrin

20. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

no probs jonny.

seriously? lol :biggrin

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP