Downloads

Discussion in 'Software' started by tripwire45, Sep 21, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I was reading the latest issue of PC World Magazine and started purusing the downloads section. I decided it was time to download and install Ad Aware and Zone Alarm onto the family computer since everyone uses it to access the internet and who knows what will try to come down the pike and get at the machine.

I download both free utilities, get off the internet, and do the install. Ad Aware installs well but when I try to open Zone Alarm, I get an error message saying it's not a Win 32 application. No amount of tweaking will get it to cooperate, so I delete the software. I go to get on the web again and am informed by my ISP that I have an invalid username/password.

This happens occasionally when they're doing some servicing on their servers. I decide to test this out and go online with my laptop which uses the same ISP. Lo and behold, I authenticate like a charm.

Can any of this stuff be connected? I can manage the occasional glitch but will become really annoyed if generally well accepted utilities like Ad Aware and Zone Alarm (whether the later installed or not) start making it difficult for me to go what I want.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well, in typical troubleshooting fashion, I managed to fix the problem without really understanding what went wrong. The modem dialed up and everything went fine until it came time to authenticate to the remote computer. Then suddenly, we were strangers.

I looked at all of my settings, comparing them to the ones on my laptop which also runs XP Pro and uses the same ISP. They were identical. Finally, though there's no reason that it should have changed, I went in and deleted and re-entered the saved password for the ISP. After that, I connected again and am posting this from the difficult family computer. I have no idea why the password should have become a problem but, for now at least, the problem has gone away.

EDIT: Oh rats. I did it again. There's a duplicate post to this one. Admin, please delete the offending secondary post below this one. Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+