Doubts on Microsoft Certification

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by CGooders, Jun 20, 2007.

1. CGooders

CGooders Bit Poster

Hi all,

Just a quick couple of questions regarding passing my Microsoft certification. Currently im trying to learn everything needed to pass the 70-305 exam and finding there's a lot to learn. However I read on the MS site for the exam you should have at least 1 year's experience in building applications, now not being funny but I got no experience in that field as I just currently finished my Master CIW cert with my training provider.

The transition from CIW to Microsoft is massive, as you may know CIW is multiple choice but I get the impression MS exams make you write the answers and involve you writing code at times. I have tried to get some information on MS exams but cannot find nothing, even on the website.

So first of all do I stand a chance of passing MS exams in MCAD with my lack of experience of building applications?

Secondly what is the format of MS exams?

Regards

Certifications: Master CIW Designer
    WIP: Microsoft 70-305 & 70-306.
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've said this before (about a jillion times) but it is good to repeat it. Despite what the certification (not just Microsoft) industry tells you, certifications *are not* designed to get you a job if you have no experience. Certifications are to formally verify that you have the skill sets necessary to adequately fill a particular job role.

People holding the 70-305 certification are established as having the skills in "Developing and Implementing Web Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET". That's why MS says on their cert site that people who want to take this exam should have about a year's worth of experience under their belt.

That said, if we had access to the demographics of people who take these sorts of exams, probably most of them don't have that level of experience. Certainly the majority of people taking the A+ exams don't have the six to twelve months of real-world experience recommended by CompTIA and frankly, all the contract work I've picked up as far as hardware installs and Ethernet rollouts were because of my A+ and the vendors didn't give a rip how much experience I had.

My suggestion. In addition to studying for the exam, practice, practice, practice developing web apps with VB and VS. If you have a site online, use it as your testing ground. Experiment. In fact, if you get really good at it, your test site could be your demonstration site (at some point) for you to show prospective employers just how good you are. Of course, you have to get that good first.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As far as I know, you don't have to write code in the exam (though I've never taken them myself). From what I understand, the developer exams are similar to the network admin exams - mostly multiple choice.

All that said, these certifications won't make you qualified to be a programmer... they're designed to prove that someone with programming skills can already do the job.

If you're wanting the MCAD and MCSD certifications, first and foremost, learn how to program before even considering taking these exams. The MCAD won't do you any good without that knowledge.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

I'm glade someone else asked this question before i did!. My plan is to go for the MCAD certs once i finish my CIW training as there is alot of demand for web developers.
    So...having purchased the MCAD core requirements self study pack, i realized that this is gona be a tuff cookie to crack and i will need all the brain cells i can muster..( which aint alot).
    I have had a bit of a flick through and i might as well be reading it in spanish for all the sense it made.

So...after reading some posts on here and what is said above, and getting some more advice from others.....learning a programming language is a bloody good start, which brought me to this web site: www.programmingtutorials.com

Enjoy.....!:biggrin

Certifications: CIW Professional
  5. sanflam

sanflam New Member

hi cgooder i think you dont have to be experienced to pass MCP but you should have full application development knowledge .rest you should first concentrate on first MCAD exam and move further.
    thankyou.

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've done 305.

It's a funny exam really. Some of the questions are code - but you don't write it, you select one of several available code sections (multiple choice).

If you know what you are about, you can normally dismiss half of them as plain wrong, and to decide between the remaining plausible answers you are looking for clues in the question.

This is where those odd phrases such as 'with the least amount of administrative effort' or 'without increasing SQL connections' become important.

The other questions are more about scenarios, such as how you would tackle a particular problem.

Depends on the quality of your course material, and as has already been said - get out there and practice...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD