Done - 1st SBS 2003 To 2008 Migration

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by craigie, Sep 27, 2009.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well, I did my first Domain Migration yesterday from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008. It was organised so a brand new Domain was created and the PC’s where then rejoined to the new domain.

We didn’t actually had much time to prep the new HP ML350 Server due to some changes at work which had resulted in me pulling 12 hour days for the last week (hence the reason why I haven’t been around much) but that’s another story.

We had managed to get SBS2008 installed, DNS setup, Exchange 2007 setup and that was it before we hit the site at 8:00am yesterday morning.

We also had a the clients Accounts Database which needed to be converted into SQL, which he started at Midnight the night before.

First off, we installed a new Switch and then got the new DHCP scope up and running creating reservations (they had actually been done as exclusions on the old server!).

We then started the Exmerge out of Exchange 2003 which worked sweet! However the import didn’t as it failed on SBS2008, so we had to manually import all the PSTs.

We hit an issue with the HP Printers as they would install without any issues on the x64 architecture, but would could not add any additional drivers for x86 architecture. A bit of google later and we discovered that when installing on SBS2008 you need to use the HP Universal Printer Driver for x64 then x86 and it works.

We finished off the DHCP scope ensuring that people who VPN onto their machines also had reservations.

Next I got RRAS working on the SBS2 008 box, this is slightly different to what I have seen before, as there are some new policies.

After this we then created a logon script for all the mapped drives and pushed down various GPO’s for things such as the printers.

We hit an issue with the printers GPO not working with XP clients until we had installed a hotfix.

After this is was a case of joining all the client machines onto the new domain and then importing the PST’s.

Once all this was done, my colleague tackled the SQL migrations, which was pain free as we had the instructions from the vendor.

Next we powered down the old server and I got my hands dirty! I removed the old tape drive and placed it into the new server along with the SCSI card.

Removed the old server, powered on the new one and made sure the new the new taped worked. After this I installed Backup Exec 12.5, configured it and then did a test backup.

Voila all done in 14 hours!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nice one mate. I was hoping you would have used the SBS migration tool (so I could see how you got on!) as Im in the middle of a test migration using the migratin tool as there a few apps that I dont think will move cleanly between domains.

I think its hit or miss with exmerge with Exchange 2007 but you can use powershell to import all the .pst files on the server rather than go round all the PCs.

Did you migrate all the user profiles?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Nah, mate as there was only 20 users, we did it all manually.

Would have been interesting to use ADMT.

In regards to the powershell to import the .pst files, I haven't used that yet so that would have been dangerous :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Was chatting to one of the directors earlier today and I asked him why we did not seize the FSMO roles.

Apparently, you are not able to do this with SBS. He mentioned that they have used the SBS Migration Guide, but more often than not it goes wrong and you have to create a new domain anyway,

Also he mentioned that most clients are running SBS 2003 32 Bit and SBS 2008 is 64 Bit.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Thought you installed a new SBS mate? Hence a new domain and FSMO roles.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Good going mate, nice job.

Never played with SBS before. Maybe after christmas, when I get my Technet subscription, I'll have a play.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  7. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

'Twas a damn fine effort, and a long day with lots of prep. One of the projects for next year is an install and migration from a 2000 exchange to a 2007 so that could prove interesting, or was it just that you found issue with it being sbs?

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Just to confirm this was an SBS to SBS migration peps :D