Domino\Notes help needed

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sparky, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Gawd, I am starting to hate Lotus Notes and domino server. :x

If anyone can help with this one you can get 100 virtual beers.

Ok, a dude rings me up and asks to get permission to setup an ‘Out of Office’ message however in Notes there is an access control list on the database (his mailbox) so I need to give him manager rights to do this.
    So I fire up domino admin and right click on his mailbox db only to get the following message.

You have insufficient privilege to observe user access for this database.

I had a look on the ACL and it looks like the previous IT chap has removed the default local domino administrators group from the ACL which has my user account in it. There was a default server group so I added my user account to that but still no joy.

I have gone through all the admin settings in the domino console (v5 btw) and my user account is there or the local domino admins group which I am a member of.

Any suggestions? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sorry Sparky but I can't really help you here.

I would think you would need to add your account to the domain admins group (if there is one).

BTW, thanks for helping to talk me out of gettîng a Notes/Domino setup.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Best thing you can do in this situation is either migrate to Exchange, or find another position. :sickR

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Just a thought, but do you need to restart the server to get it to re-read the ACL's? I have worked with some technologies that unless you restart the service/server, they don't see changes.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. Sparky

Yeah, I`ll restart the domino services through the console (it basically restarts the windows services) but other than that I think I’m out of ideas. I have been researching this on the net for days now and nothing has worked.

It doesn’t help that its domino v5 and this isn’t even supported anymore. :cry:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Did you resolve this Sparky?

You know that you can (so they say) quite easily upgrade the system to the latest version. Probably wouldn't cost much either. Their apps and databases should also all work too.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Sparky

The servers are crap, when I rebooted one it prompted me to either boot Windows NT server or Server 2003, looks like it has been upgraded at some point and sizes of the partitions are tiny. I need to rebuild a couple of the servers which is going to be a nightmare as they are domain controllers as well.

Spoke to IBM about the potential upgrade and they did say “WTF?!” when I said I was still running r5. They also said the standard databases should upgrade with no problems but they have a couple of customised databases which *may* upgrade correctly. They guy who designed them left the company years ago! :blink

Will try restarting the services this week, I’m at another site installing a new firewall tomorrow to wont get a chance.