Domestic violence

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Dec 19, 2009.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

IM just after people opinions here and dont want to provoke a mass arguement between people, but with it being a sensitive topic i reckon that may not happen.

Was talking to a female friend on facebook, who has been in a marriage which has ended, and claimed that her bloke just got up one morning and beat the living craop out of her, how much of it is true i dont know, i always say there is 2 sides to every coin. She then said that no woman should ever under any circumstances have to suffer any domestic violence. I sort of aggreed with her, but then i said what if the woman was to hit the bloke a few times, with her fists or even go at him with a knife and to defend himself he hit her, even more than once. As im sure if someone came at me with a knife or struck me with their fists, allbeit man or woman then im sure id strike back , and probably more than once.

What gets me here, if it was 2 blokes then the world would not look in shick and disgust, but if it was a bloke and a woman, the bloke would be considered a coward in society, even if he was protecting himself. Seems somewhat unfair.

???

Any thoughts??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Why go there? Every time one of these threads come up it turns into a slanging match, and inevitably ends up locked. It's one of the reasons I hardly ever come on here any more. I can't see the point of raising the topic - despite what you say about not looking for an argument, that's exactly what you'll get.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
    Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

in all honesty imo, they say that a man and woman are equals in every regard.
    im sure tysons mum gave him a beating though and he couldnt do **** about it

Certifications: MCTS, ITILv3 F, MCTS, MBCS, MCITP:EA C&G
    WIP: CCA Xenapp 5.0 & VMWARE
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I see what you mean but i only post stuff on here like this as you will always get different sides to an arguement. As for the slanging matches thats down to the peolpe who should censor what they have to say, i mean think before they type etc.

Most stuff on this forum is pretty decent youll always get toe odd one or two who go in feet first so to speak

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Probably best to leave it there then mate...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

If the guy defends himself, that might be ok, but its not down to what you think. Its woen to who presses charges. If she went ahead and told police "he beat me here are the bruises" and they pressed charges against him, the bloke would stand little chance of saying "it was only self defence, she hit me first etc", as police seem to take teh womans view. After all a 5ft woman surley cant beat up a 6ft man. (of course she might be able to but thats not what gets percieved)

However if teh woman struck teh man with a weapon liek a knife then things change, a little. She could claim self defence, but depending on teh amount of harm caused, she may or may not get away with that.

I'm not saying more on this as i've experienced both sides of domestic violence and dont want to enter into long discussions on things dragging up old wounds etc.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I would never hit my partner regardless of circumstances.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

+1 whs

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Knock her out ! Then you can get back to xbox without the incescant whining ! :biggrin

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

There are some people in the world who just aren't right.

I've never hit anyone in anger in my life, and have not been hit by anyone.
    But when you read about what goes on sometimes, it makes you wonder what makes some people tick.

Domestic violence is just a sub-category.
    Maybe it's society, upbringing, chemical, genetic or too many Van Damme movies.

But it rarely comes as a surprise to anyone.
    You hardly ever read of a victim of domestic violence being totally shocked by the event and saying 'Barry was like a lamb. Never so much as raised his voice in anger before, now I've got a black eye.'

No. Barry was a f**kwit from the day you met him.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I personally think violence is for idiots who have no other means of expressing themselves or can't control themselves. I'd never hit a girl back, regardless of what she'd done, its how I was brought up. I used to be a decent boxer so gettig hit doesn't bother me. My take on violence is why bother, there will always be someone harder than you, stay calm and enjoy life, you'll live longer :biggrin

I saw my mate getting jumped once so ran in and got battered by 10 fellas. . . . which was er, character building :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  12. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

What do you say to a woman with two black eyes?

Nothing! she's been told twice. :)

This is a topic that is only going to end badly.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3