Domain woes

Discussion in 'Networks' started by auisce, Sep 29, 2007.

1. auisce

auisce Bit Poster

Something meaningful and a rant, moan whatever.

Since when can't a computer join a domain???

I have a Vista box on my network, it's running Vista Home Premium very well with all the bells and whistles but I've been trying to join my domain for hours with no luck; I couldn't find any options except for workgroups and after searching the internet found out from Microsoft that Vista Starter, Basic, Home and Home Premium can NOT join domains as they are for home computers which apparently never need to join a domain. F*&$^ MICRO*&£)* AAAAAAAHHHHHHH.

So the point of this:
    I'm a little *£$&)!$ off and wanted to let someone know and to warn you all that if you want to play with Vista and need it on a domain you'll need either Bussiness or Ultimate.

Does anyone know a workaround without installing another OS?

Certifications: ECDL lvl 2
    WIP: CompTIA A+/MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No... that's an intentional limitation of Home Basic and Home Premium. As you stated, you'll need Vista Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate to join a domain: link

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. auisce

auisce Bit Poster

Ooh it gets my goat..
    We can't just have Windows Client and Windows Server?!!
    I wonder how much they'll want to charge me for the "anytime upgrade" to Ultimate.
    Sooo much £££; if I wern't trying to learn MS systems I'd stick to Ubuntu.

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

This has been the case since (at least) XP. XP Home was unable to join a domain. It was pretty much expected that Vista would do the same. Home Premium is for home users, who dont generally use domains in their home.

To be fair, this isnt MS' fault. If you wanted a Vista OS that could join a domain, you should really have researched to make sure that the version you were getting had this functionality. You dont buy an oven, then complain because it cant microwave do you? If you wanted an oven that could microwave, you go out and find one that can.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. auisce

auisce Bit Poster

Fair point but I've never used XP Home edition so didn't realise it was a possibility; I should have researched it better though.

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Thats no problem. Was just pointing out that it was an MS policy for it.

You might want to look into buying a hardware upgrade for your PC, so you can purchase an OEM of Ultimate (About 100 quid). Likely cheaper than getting an upgrade license.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present