Problem domain to workgroup

Discussion in 'Software' started by nickhartsock, Jun 20, 2010.

1. nickhartsock

nickhartsock New Member

So.....He's my problem, i don't know if its just me but this is confusing the ell out of me:rolleyes:.....

I got a computer from a hotel and it was connected to a server, it was actually used to control the pool system.

Now my problem is this PC is configure like a library PC almost. When i download something or save anything or change any setting and reboot my PC it all disappears and goes back to how it was when i got it...so when i try to change my PC from a domain to a work-group and have to restart the settings get erased.

Im not to sure if i am supposed to change something before i convert the Domain PC back to a Home PC.....Im wayyyyyy over my head on this one HELPPP PLEASE!!! =]

2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Have you checked if there isn't any kiosk/library/cafe software installed that reverts settings to how they were?

What is the OS?

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. nickhartsock

nickhartsock New Member

It's Windows Xp Professional kinda old school now, and the only things on it are Adaco Eclipse, PSC Webclient 9.1D, Timesaver and Mozilla

that is what it reverts back too everytime i restart or shutdown

i can change it to workgroup and get into a new user name off the domain and then delete the domain off the PC and when i restart it.....BAM everythings gone

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's likely reimaging itself every time it's booted. Hotel PCs are like that.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. doanngocthinh

doanngocthinh New Member

i don't understand?
    specific

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It sounds like it has something like Faronics DeepFreeze or Microsofts SteadyState installed.

Chances are a complete wipe is required (including perhaps even a low level format but that may be a step too far).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Interesting.

Si - Have you used both these products? If so, what's your recommendation. I see the MS one is free - always a good start!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree with the others, maybe time for a re-install...

We've trialled DeepFreeze at my last place and it major advantage was the central management of it. The version of SteadyState we used is ok for individual PC's, but not so well suited for mid-large scale domain deployment (that was version 1 & 2), however version 2.5 which we haven't used includes a Group Policy template for AD...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Cheers for that Ken - i'll take a look at both products, thanks!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The other software package that we ended up using in my last place was HDGuard. Turned out to be the best product within our budget, at the time - however that was going back a few years...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. Fazza

Fazza New Member

Couldn't have put it better myself. HDGuard is one of the most commonly used products of this kind used in the education industry as it stops the 'little rascals' from ruining the machines.

Oddly enough, the last time I used HDGuard was a few years back too...

Back on topic... it definately sounds like some sort of hard disk management software causing your issue so take a look in Add/Remove programs and see if any are installed. They're normally password protected so unless you have the password a re-build may be the way to go.

You could try 'breaking' it - not sure about the others but HDGuard uses a hidden partition so if you can find that and delete it, they might break the software and stop it from working? Having said that it's quite clever so may prevent you from doing it.

8)

Certifications: MCP, A+