Domain or Workgroup

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jul 4, 2008.

?

What do you use at home

1. Domain

21.3%
  2. Workgroup

61.7%
  3. Other

4.3%
  4. Domain and Workgroup

14.9%
  1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

At home, what are you using? ...and reasons why!

Domain or a Workgroup.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

At home I use a workgroup, I do have a test domain for studying but I don't count that as "in-use".

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Test domain and also a workgroup for general use. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Same as others mentioned. For personal home use I use workgroup for test purpose I use domain.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Same as Ken & Sparky.

Workgroup day to day stuff and Domain for Studying (well its all configured for my first exam).

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

workgroup, it does everything i need, uick and easy to set up and dont need the added security. although planning on building a test domain in the future

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  7. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Workgroup for normal stuff, Domain for studying.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Domain. Since Windows NT. Nothing like running your own domain(s) for learning about stuff you can't really p*** about with at work.

Have never had a workgroup - in fact, I probably wouldn't be able to support one if I ever had to! Went straight from 9x to NT, then to 2K, 2K3 and now mixed mode 2K8

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I keep entertaining the idea of a domain, but I did that about 8 years ago and the wife became annoyed with all of the "logging on" and security. I told her I was going to do it again, and she seems to be ok with it this time, but for right now we are on a workgroup. I do have a test domain though, as I'm sure most do.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Same here

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Running a domain at the moment, but I am thinking of turning off the DC because of the cost of leaving a server on all of the time. :(

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  12. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

That's why my main machine is on its own in a workgroup, the cost of 'lectric these days :blink

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

What he said. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Boringly, workgroup for the live environment, but domain for test.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Domain for home network
    a few Domains for testing/training/sandboxing

domains at friends houses with ISA servers bridging them (shared forest)
    internal email between mates is mucho coolio :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  16. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Bloody show off

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  17. somabc

somabc Bit Poster

WTF would you have a domain at home? For testing sure but for day to day use? Unless you have an unlikely large amount of users, servers etc. Although on here I can believe that some of you do run domains, well done phoenix btw! :)

From a money saving aspect, I would not like to leave a server running and sucking up power all day, plus you have to pay for the extra licensing costs, spent time administering the domain setting it up, configure networking etc. For most (certainly non IT) people it would be a bit of a waste of time and effort? Its your network though so its up to you.

Certifications: BSc MBCS
    WIP: MSc, PRINCE2, ITIL
  18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

To be honest, I could turn your glib statement on its head and ask "WTF would you have a workgroup at home?" If you work in IT, or are training to work in IT, then having a domain is by far the most sensible option for you. It took me about four hours to set my original home domain up - and that was back in the NT days when doing so was a lot harder than it is now. There really isn't anything to it. Yes your power bills are higher (my electric bill is about £200 a quarter - with five machines running constantly) but there really are no other drawbacks to running a domain at home - none.

Nothing beats learning by doing. For instance, how likely is it that you are going to be able/allowed to install your own Exchange Server, ISA box and Sharepoint server at work to learn on? Not very likely. As for licensing, I pay about 200 quid a year for my action pack subscription - for that I get to use pretty much every piece of MS software in a test environment - cheap at half the price, especially when you consider that I estimate that running my own 'pointless' (sic) home domain has probably been responsible for a salary increase of about 40% per year for the last eight years.

It may seem like overkill to you, but I'm guessing this is because you're just starting out in IT. Let me assure you that everybody I've ever worked with who was any good at IT was running a 'production' domain at home.

19. somabc

somabc Bit Poster

Glib? I think you are the one who is glib. I simply outlined my personal reasons for not running a domain at home and even acknowledged that as its your home setup so if you want to run a domain go ahead and do so. The consensus on the thread so far is domain for testing and Workgoup for day to day use.

Actually if you were in a senior IT role, there should not be a problem with testing new equipment/setups at work? I have time set aside to develop my IT skills as I see fit, and run several VM's/test boxes at work for this very reason. I agree with you that learning by doing is by far the best way to learn and I have always followed this philosophy with IT.

You have not outlined the advantages for running a domain. It takes at least several hours to setup, it costs you an extra £800 a year, its bad for the environment, those are serious enough drawbacks for most to rule it out? You had the extra startup costs of buying 4 PCs + 1 Server with Windows Server 2003 as well. I would rather buy 1 very good laptop, 1 very good desktop, and perhaps 1 very good server than 6+ machines for the same money.

Personally I would use VMs to run/test a domain at home. VMs have the advantage of being able to quickly revert the session state. I am not currently running a test domain as I only have my laptop (I stored my various desktops the last time I moved). I used to run a server at home but it was BSD based. I am afraid I am not just 'starting out' in IT as you put it, I have several years experience of being a SysAdmin but you seem to be falling into the classic trap of failing to do any cost/benefit analysis. Surely most IT professionals would not run windows at home anyway, preferring Linux, BSD, or even Mac?

I suppose I see it as a bit of a busmans holiday to administer a domain for 1-2 users and a handful of computers?

Anyway this thread is going nowhere, if you need to gain experience of domains that you cannot gain at work or are only comfortable working in a domain then run a domain at home, either virtual or on real hardware if you have the extra money available.

Certifications: BSc MBCS
    WIP: MSc, PRINCE2, ITIL
  20. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yep, you're right - I'm switching to a workgroup straightaway