Domain Name to IP Address

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Mr.Cheeks, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hi Guys,

At work, i am working behind a proxy server + they have those filtering software.

I was told to bypass the filtering you only need to enter the i.p. address for the site, however, the site i want to get access to violates the rules on the filtering software "ra remote access", also i cannot retrieve the i.p. address for the site aswell...

The site in question is https://secure.logmein.com/

This is to be the longest challenge i have had, when working with a company... normally i get around the programs, rights or whatever, but I.T. here, are actually good, compared to the others I have been with! *thats a good thing!*

Thanks....

2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

ping the site and get it's IP address.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. Mr.Cheeks

I have tried that, said Unknown Host :cry:

4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

try http://www.dnsstuff.com (if that isn't filtered).
    by the way, if the filtering software can be bypassed, simply by using the ip address instead of the url, then it is a piece of crap. :dry

edit: secure.logmein.com is at 63.209.251.90

5. Mr.Cheeks

Nope! tried 63.209.251.90 and is still blocked! ...all i want to do is access my computer at home and im having all of these problems! :cry: :cry: Why!!!Why!!!!!! :cry:

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Because your company is particularly fierce on security! :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Why not simply ask your companies IT department to allow you access to that site?

You never know, it could open up some doors for you. 8)

8. Mr.Cheeks

The company i used to work for, their IT dept did not like me at all, i use to make them do their work properly, i kept find loopholes within their system, and my so called line manager at the time kept reporting them back to IT, not because he was security conscience but it was cuz *i got someone better than the IT dept* :twisted: "...

As i now have left that company, and started here, guess what, one of the guys here is the brother of one of the guys in my old company.

...so already i have this feeling they dont really like me, as it took them 3 weeks, to set me an lotus account, took them 4 hours to reset a password for me etc etc...

To give me access to that site? open a port for me? do sometime within a timely manner??? Doubt it!

9. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Have an affair with your MD's wife...

Scratch his new Merc in the car park whiilst he is watching...

De-bag your line manager at the Christmas do...

But never, ever annoy your IT dept. :noway

We are Borg. :evil

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  10. Mr.Cheeks

Fierce? They have migrated their systems to a new domain today, and now they have locked down the system super tight, no run command, no control panel, no properties on my computer, nothing. You now have to submit an application to get an upgrade to administrative rights or for a power user profile, and then justify why you require the upgrade. Even the IT managers have to submit it!

i have to now manually delete my cookies and history files, as we have no properties within IE.

Its tighter than a chickens @$$! :eek:

11. snoopy51

snoopy51 Bit Poster

Now, I know what a chickens @$$ like! :twisted:

Certifications: MCSE (2K, 2K3), MCDBA, IBM CP, LPIC-1
    WIP: LPIC-2
  12. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

...well each to their own Snoops, but should you come to Europe (and you'd be very welcome) I'd be a bit careful of this bird 'flu thingy if I were you - I'm don't know if it is a STD, and I don't think anyone else does either!!! :blink :biggrin

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  13. Mr.Cheeks

Have I got the wrong end of this or is it just that i have got a very sick sadistic mind? :ohmy

14. Mr.Cheeks

...as i was saying, i am behind a proxy server, and i prefer using FF over IE. I emailed FF to my works account and installed it, but strangely only internet pages certain pages load, i changed the account details to "auto-detech proxy settings for this network", but the strange this is, some websites work and some dont, whereas all of the work within IE? :rolleyes: eg. www.certforums.co.uk will work within IE but not FF, same with google

any ideas?

remember the properties tab is disabled..

15. hbroomhall

Try getting the "User Agent Switcher" extension for FF and see if that helps.

Harry.

16. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Cheekmaster,

Your company obviously takes IT security very seriously, rather than trying to circumvent the security why not ask them to explain why they have these policies and say what you'd like to do. That way at least they can explain policy.

You may not be very friendly with them at the moment, but by trying to break the rules you're going to make them want to come down on you even harder.

One of the most important aspects of working in IT is networking. Don't burn your bridges.

:blink

17. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Sounds to me that the IT department are doing what they are being paid to do!

If I had a user as keen as you I'd be paying them a visit to ask why they wanted to do what they wanted to do as it may contravine the organisations policy about useing IT equipment for non work use.

18. hbroomhall

And if they are being that enthusiastic about security they may even scan the logs of what people do!

Harry.

19. Mr.Cheeks

I totally agree with you, this is one of the very few places i worked where IT actually done their job properly, however, with regards to non work use, my job is actually to crawl through various website and ascertain data from them, same principle as a search engine, however, i prefer using FF on this occassion due to the tabbed browsing...

20. Mr.Cheeks

Sorry to restart this post, but im using FF, got my proxy setting plugged in! Helped a guy in I.T. with his CCNA studies and hes' sorted it for me.... :biggrin

...but remember this is our little secret! :curtain