Domain Name implementation

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by TimoftheC, Mar 5, 2009.

1. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Guys - been doing a bit of research on securing a domain name for the small company I work for and have no problems in getting the name we're after, I''m just a little unsure about implementing it.

Now, there is only a small peer to peer network here with no servers and for the time being, obtaining the domain name will be purely to use it as a better email address than the rubbish one we have now. However, once secured, we will obviously have the name for when/if, we ever convince the boss to develop a web presence.

My question is, how do we use a domain name as a web address? Is it something that our ISP can setup for us?

Sorry, I'm a real noob on these things so any help looked for

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

For small companies you can link your domain name to something like Google Apps. Using this you can use your own domain name to route mail through Googles mail servers. Even better it is free for the basic version.

Alternatively you can use email forwarding. I know with 123reg.com you can set up and email address using your domain name and then forward mail to that account to another email address.

There's a couple of free alternatives.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

As AJ said, register the domain name thru 123-reg.co.uk who can also provide email and website if you need it (or speak nicely to me :biggrin )

Then, bearing in mind you're running a small peer-to-peer network, either just connect to the POP mailbox on each PC or, if you use one of the machines as a sort of pseudo-server for data etc. run a little program called VPOP3 which can download all the mail and then spit it out round the network to the right machine for you - this has some advantages as it offers some nice features - see www.pscs.co.uk for details of VPOP.

Hope that helps and PM me if you want any more info.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Many thanx for the info both.

Kev - that looks exactly like what I am looking for, definitely going to check it out :super

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I've used it a lot in the last 10 years. Prob about 30 or 40 companies I did work for are still using it. Forums are good too and it's not expensive.

Glad it helped !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)