Domain Migrations SBS 2003 - Server 2008 & Exchange 2007

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by craigie, Aug 20, 2009.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Just been told that I can be part of a Domain Migration for one of our customers from SBS 2003 to Server 2008 and Exchange 2007.

Waiting for the client to confirm the expenditure (they have to really due to number of users).

Will be working as part of a 4 man team on the job. Will be some great experience and I'm seriously pleased they have considered me for Project Work after only being in the new job for two months.

Happy Days!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

good stuff. enjoy :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sweet, congrats dude :)

That's one thing I have to say that I've never done - worked with SBS/SBS Premium/EBS, however that may change if we go ahead and take over support for a company we're in talks with.

How different is it from say Standard/Enterprise version of Windows?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Cheers Ken.

I have only been using SBS for the last couple of months. I haven't done any installs only maintenance, from what I have seen there is no differences from an every day point of view.

I believe there are limits on the number of users, Exchange Information Store size and a few other things, but from a support prospective nowt.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, thanks mate :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Day to day stuff can be the same as a full domain however some problems can be a major hassle. For example a problem with IIS can take out Exchange webmail and Sharepoint!

A proper installation is key here, the amount of botched installs I have seen over the years is a joke.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

I was under the impression that you could only have one dc and the whole shooting match (dc/exchange/isa/sql) had to be installed on the one box.

Is this not the case?

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  9. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Windows Small Business Server has the following design restrictions:

* Only one computer in the domain can be running Windows Small Business Server. That is not to say that the domain only supports a single server. The domain supports multiple servers, but only one of them can be of the Small Business Server operating system. The other servers can be any other operating system, such as Windows Server Standard Edition.
    * Windows Small Business Server must be the root of the Active Directory forest.
    * Windows Small Business Server cannot trust any other domains. It cannot have any child domains.
    * Windows Small Business Server is limited to 75 users or devices depending on which type of CAL.
    * All Windows Small Business Server versions up to SBS 2003 are limited to 4 GB of RAM. 2008 requires a minimum of 4GB and supports a maximum of 32GB.
    * Windows Small Business Server versions prior to Windows Small Business Server 2008 are only available for the x86 (32-bit) architecture.
    * Windows Small Business Server 2008 will only be available for the x86-64 (64-bit) architecture. This is due to the requirements of Exchange Server 2007, whose production version is 64-bit only. The 32-bit version of Exchange Server 2007 is only supported for testing and non-production scenarios.
    * Only the Remote Desktop for Administration mode is available because Small Business Server always runs on the domain controller, and only two simultaneous RDP sessions are allowed. (Change from SBS 2000 policy) Terminal Services in application sharing mode needs to be run on a second server on the network. This however is possible with SBS 2008 Premium edition which includes a Windows Server 2008 license for running the second server.
    * To remove these restrictions and upgrade to regular editions of Windows Server, Exchange Server, SQL Server and ISA Server, there is a Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 Transition Pack.

That do ya? :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  10. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Cheers

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals