Problem Domain Log on Issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by westernkings, Mar 15, 2010.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hi guys,

I have one user who can not log on anywhere this morning; when he does, the message is
    However, all the things on google say this is him trying to log on locally, which is not true. It is on every domain machine, his account is fine, in all the same groups we was on Friday.

So to confirm, a domain user, trying to logon with domain\username or user.name or username is unable to log onto the domain because of the above error, it is only this one user as well?

Any ideas gents?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

what is the "logon to" dropdown set to? Have you tried to log onto a machine using another account immediately after he has attempted to? Do you get the same error?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Have a look at his account in AD. Maybe he's been set to log on interactively using a smart card

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  4. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

If none of the above methods work then: Recreate user account!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

It's both Windows 7 Machines and Windows XP machines, obviously, 7 doesn't have a drop down. I will recreate the account and see what happens

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Check if the correct logon server is being used. Type 'set' in the cmd line... If needs be - 'set logon server=server'

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  7. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

User profile could be corrupt :dry

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  8. Fergal1982

Just give it a backhander, then everything will be right as rain.

I wouldn't recreate the user just yet if you can avoid it. That just seems quite drastic. Besides, if it works (and it probably will), you haven't actually got to the root of the issue, you've just circumvented it. If you have the time, try to find the actual issue first. That way if/when it happens again you know where to look.

It wouldn't be an issue with the logon hours on the user account being set to prevent logon at that time would it? I've never used that feature, so have no idea what the message says in that scenario.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  9. Fergal1982

also check the Log On To option. Make sure the radio box is set to All computers. If its set to "The following computers" and theres nothing in the list that would have the same effect you are seeing I think.

10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually, try removing the network cable from a machine that the user has logged onto previously, because it will have cached credentials it should just log on. I would then reconnect the network cable and see what happens when you try to access network resources.

I would also check account expiry.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

He's not got the 'Log on using Dial-Up connection' box ticked just under the log on to drop down menu has he?

Also, can other users from the same OU as his log on to this machine successfully? Can he log on to any machines from the same OU as his workstation?

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing