Doh, busted

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I got busted today for making a statement here in this very forum, which was picked up on by a consultant for the product in question.

Just goes to show, you should be prepared to have your comments here seen by anyone.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Doh! :oops:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

lol :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

No way! I recently had to fix a few things myself. I didn't realise how much I give away on here, you forget its public don't you

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

So what was the comment and teh product? i take it the consutant knew you or the company you work for, for you to get busted?

I only say things on here i'd be prepared to back up if confronted. If i say something is crap i normaly mean it, if i say its good, its because i think it is. If i critise someone at work and they found out, i'd stand by what i said. It pays to watch your words....

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  6. Fergal1982

no comment, and no comment. Yeah they knew me (how many Fergals are in the world for a start - certainly outside Ireland).

In honesty, part of what I said was blowing off steam. Some was a real opinion on the matter though.

In the end I dont mind really, but thought it might be of benefit for people to realise the coverage their words here (and anywhere else online) can get.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

This happens alot actually... I never happened to me before, because I am careful with what I say, but it has happened to a friend of mine a few times! But he never learns!!!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Indeed. Be very careful what you post on the Internet!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep. I've had quite a few people approach me about things I've said online. Thing is, if I didn't truly believe what I post, I wouldn't have posted it in the first place!

I once had a supervisor ask me to apologize to a training center that complained about my forum comments. I told him that the statements I made were factual and not directed towards that training center; therefore, I felt no need to apologize. And I didn't. And that was that.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Fergal1982

Oh I agree, I wont be apologising for it. My opinion is exactly that, my opinion. I'm perfectly entitled to it.

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Keep up the good fight, bro. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Fergal1982

Oh, so now they want to haul me in for a "fact finding" meeting to determine if they wish to pursue disciplinary action over the allegation:

Well, if they want a fight, they will damn well get it. I refuse to accept sensitive. I go to great pains to ensure that anything I post online (including work related issues I request assistance with) are data cleansed enough to prevent identification of the company, nor allow information specific to our workloads/clients to be made known.

Inappropriate? I expressed an opinion on a forum where I take great pains to ensure that I do not represent my employer, infact I go to great lengths to ensure that I do not release my employers name.

Workplace issues? I gave out no specific issues with the product. Merely stated an opinion on it. Further communications with the consultant at the company provided more information, but since they are employed currently to help us deal with issues, that is not a disciplinary matter.

As for during work hours, well, ok guilty as charged. But again I take pains to ensure that I do not represent the company.

I've worked hard to help my company, and whilst I hold personal opinions, my mandate is to help promote the products we use. I do so. I do not tell the customers my opinion on the product. I deserved even just a little respect from my bosses boss in response to this. Even just two minutes for me to justify my position. Instead I got slapped with a letter on Friday afternoon about a meeting on Monday morning.

Well if they want a fight, I'll give them a fight. I'll stand up for my side, and my beliefs.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You may well want to temper it down a tad. Words said in the heat of the moment may well come back and bite you.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  14. Fergal1982

i do not care a jot. I will not be hung out to dry by people who owe me enough respect to come directly to me. Particularly given the circumstances, and this is the first time its ever happened.

15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Why not suggest that rather than a 'fact finding meeting' they have an 'Easter egg hunt'.
    It's more seasonal, it's more fun, and it's more rewarding.

:dry

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  16. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

That is quite an over reaction and a waste of resources if you ask me (Unless you work for MI6 or have security clearance or something).

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  17. Fergal1982

thats a negative. Over!

18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

9-5, not MI5 then...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  19. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I hope it doesn't get too out of control Fergal!

I remember 3 service desk guys getting busted at where I used to work! They posted up comments on the local newspaper's website with regards to a Serco contractor's laptop being stolen that contained the personal and banking info of all employees! Turned out that the Serco contractor had lent out his laptop to a mate...and then it got nicked???? The newspaper reported it and these 3 guys went ahead and made some comments about the whole situation...the stupid thing was that they used their real names??? Anyway, all 3 got a verbal and final written warnings for various offences etc! Funny thing was that the @rsehole's at the top that allowed the incident to take place got away scot free??? Odd that!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
    Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  20. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Slight over reaction no? I don’t think anyone here actually knows who you work for....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs