Does your employer value your training/qualifications?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by cellardoor, Mar 4, 2010.

1. cellardoor

cellardoor Nibble Poster

Hi,

I'm really fed up with my employer. They place no value on training, getting qualified. Granted they will pay for training courses and exams but they're not bothered either way if you pass your exams.

I'm the only one in our department that has bothered to keep learning and studied in my own time to get some qualifications but they don't give me any more responsibility because of it. What are everyone elses employers like?

Cheers,
    Cellardoor

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Presumably if they are paying for training and exams they care if you pass.

If it's a case of not getting mroe responsibility then there could be loads of reason, not all related to yourself. Best thing to do would be speak to your line manager, ask how they see you progressing, and tell them how you would like to progress. Probably not the easiest conversation to have if you don't have that good a working relationship, but best way to get some straight up information.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I dont think our company could give a fook about training, if you are in a regional office. It would just mean that you are trying to further your career and in my company that is not possible unless you are in Leeds, London or Milton Keynes. So the desktop engineer in the regional offices have no chance of progressing.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Our employer does value our CPD (including training & exams), while they may not be able to pay for all of it, it is encouraged. Even if it's self-studied and they pay for the exams (budget depending, as we're not the only department in the organisation) :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

In my current job they value both training and qualifications. In my new job for the same company qualifications mean zero but training means everything. . . . if that makes sense?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

My lot value both training and qualifications but only every other year.... I've got a training budget of £0.00 this year down from £2000 last year which actually includes not only my and my department colleagues training but also any IT training for the rest of the company. Needless to say it looks like I'm going to be funding any certs I want to do this year.

They are at least willing to give me time out of the office to sit the exams, which is still better than many out there.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  7. cellardoor

cellardoor Nibble Poster

No, really they don't care either way if I pass an exam. I got my MCSA in December and they didn't even know I passed until I brought it up in my appraisal yesterday.

8. cellardoor

cellardoor Nibble Poster

This conversation happens usually every 6 months when I'm having an appraisal or they are reviewing my appraisal. For the last couple of years I've been asking for more responsibility and to be challenged.

9. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

then it's time to leave! good luck!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  10. cellardoor

cellardoor Nibble Poster

I hear you. I'm grateful for that at least.

11. cellardoor

cellardoor Nibble Poster

Yes, I came to the same conclusion myself and have already been to an interview. Unfortunately they wanted some SQL and Linux experience which I have none of so I wasn't successful but I'm still looking. Just taking my time and not going to be too hasty about it.

12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

That's the attitude, good luck and wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

No, they couldn't care less as long as I can get the things done that need to be done.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

My lot don't care either - as long as you are a bum on the seat they'll virtually employ anyone! Getting more experience/exposure here is pretty impossible too because they want you available to do your job you are employed for - which makes absolute sense except most of the day is just sat there doing nothing as there is nothing to do!!!! (I attempt to study, or at least find something to do!)

Training - I've been told they will allow training if its to do with your current role, ie nothing for career development, but I have yet had the need to ask to confirm that.
    Exams - whilst they may pay for the training, they don't for the exams and they don't care whether you pass it or not even if you do go for it.

I have a colleague, who's a team leader for another team here now, and he went on a server 2003 course (don't know which one before anyone asks) and he sat there in the training room for a week reading the newspaper and a novel. Others in the class that I work with told me that it got back to the management of the day and they didn't even blink an eyelid. The course cost about £1000 each and as long as you went on it (for their box ticking purposes), they didn't care about anything else!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Doesn't matter if your employer values them or not... you train and certify to benefit YOU. Certainly the employer can benefit because you are more knowledgeable... but if they don't care, don't sweat it. Keep doing what you're doing, because they CAN help you get your next job, and the next, and the next.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!