Does the age matter for IT job?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by sezgin, Jun 13, 2008.

1. sezgin

sezgin Bit Poster

Do you ever think it is hard to get an IT job for people those over 30 years old in London?

WIP: mcse/mcsa/mcdst
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm 53 in Boise and I'm working. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Age does not matter at all, if your looking for your first IT job and are looking at entry level jobs then if you are the best person for the job you will get it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

No.
    If you have the experence, and knowledge then you have a good chance as anyone else, saying that, you will have more of a chance than a 20year chap, who has the knowledge (certs) and lesser expreience - experience count alot in today's world, something that books can never provide.

Good luck

5. sezgin

sezgin Bit Poster

yeah, i have asked this questions as an unemployed person, cuz i have applied a lot of jobs b4 but no one replied me even once. :(

But none of the job i applied for was entry-level though.

6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

This could only be a problem if you think it would be, but seriously age discrimination happens but it is now illegal in the UK.

I am over 30ish and don't think this has hindered me whatsoever. Just get your confident level boosted and start going for jobs that you know you have experience in. Do you have any relevant hands on IT working experiences or qualifications? If the answer is yes or a no, then you're best starting with the Comptia A+ cert as this covers computer hardware as well as the various operating systems.

Lastly, you don't have to pay thousands of £££'s to get trained all you need is the book and a computer as well as a determination to learn. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. greenbrucelee

you should be applying for entry level/trainee job basically positions that require no on the job experience.

8. sezgin

sezgin Bit Poster

thank you for your best wishes, i have experiences about hardware and basic network already, so i think i no need to go for A+ and N+.

I sometimes see IT job ads beginning with "for new graduate", isnt it indirect age discrimination? :biggrin

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you don't have IT experience, don't you think that your lack of experience, not your age, is the reason for the lack of replies from employers with higher-level jobs? If you're like 99% of people wanting to get into IT, you can't start "in the middle"... you have to start at the bottom (with an entry-level job) and work your way up.

I got my first "real" IT job at age 28. At age 38, I'm very employable, both as a writer AND as an IT professional. Age has nothing to do with it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Do you know about hardware and basic networking, or have you actually supported hardware and networks in a real-world business environment? If you've never done IT support for a business, an employer will see that as exactly zero experience.

That's not to say your knowledge is useless... it's simply not considered experience. Theoretical knowledge and practical application in a real-world environment are worlds apart... and you'll understand that when you actually start working in IT and see for yourself.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. greenbrucelee

you should really go for the A+ and N+ they will help out with future certs.

12. sezgin

sezgin Bit Poster

well, i just have understood that i should try for entry-level jobs that why i read mcdst forum and i already purchased ms self-paced 70-271 book and studying for 2 weeks as much as possible.

But i thought it is hard to get it job for someone at my age till i asked you guys... I wish you are right...

13. sezgin

sezgin Bit Poster

yeah maybe you are right but i am confused about books for A+ and N+, they look quite out of date already?

Can you advise an up to date books for A+ and N+?

btw, someone here advised me to buy ms self-paced books and i already bought, :)

14. greenbrucelee

you need compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Miker Meyers and PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles.

15. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Once you've got a year or two's experience it will be a lot easier. Like what's been said, apply for entry level positions.

Also, 34 isn't unemployable, it's how you market yourself. Make sure your date of birth isn't on your CV.

16. sezgin

sezgin Bit Poster

it is (my birth date) top left of my cv :D

OK i will remove it now !!!

17. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Age should be a good thing more experience and less likely to move job.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  18. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it can't still happen. The smarter employers simply give a "legal" excuse such as underqualified, overqualified, etc.

I find that being over 30 isn't so much of a problem as having a wife and kid(s). Single people can be counted on to work crazy hours. Married folk with kids want to put in their 9-5 and take weekends off. This isn't popular with Dilbert-style PHBs who are looking for something for nothing.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  19. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Also, there are loads of IT jobs in London, unlike if you're based in some crappy remote village with no transport.

20. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Age discrimination is illegal, but almost impossible to prove. There are so many excuses that can be given to cover for it that trying to sift through all of them to find the truth is impossible. That makes enforcement of rules like that impossible.

Does it exist? You bet it does. I know I've encountered it, and I'll bet trip has too. We both may be working right now but our age disqualifies us in the minds of a lot of employers.

That said, at 30 you're not going to be discriminated against in the same way a someone in their mid 50's is going to be. At 30 you're still young enough to work the 70 and 80 hour weeks and not really complain a whole lot, and you'll be far more likely to have an employer invest money in training you.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1