Does anyone think hairstyle matters?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, May 8, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Do you think hairstyle is factor when going for a job interview, I ask this because basically I shave my head or rather I bic it and some people I guess would think I look like a crim or something. But do you think it could influence a prespective employer?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Hairstyle? Whats one of them:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Naa, shouldn’t mate any difference mate. Make sure you dress smart though! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

true - hair stlye doesn't make a diff... cuz if it did, i'll be on the dole!

5. greenbrucelee

I thought it should'nt matter but people have perceptions of people on how they look i.e someone with long hair is a hippy or someone with a hooded top on is a chav or someone with lazy eyes is always smoking dope etc

I recede on the sides should I attempt to grow my hair a bit or do you think I should leave it?

6. Sparky

Leave it, because it will go a bit 'afro' before it beds in! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. greenbrucelee

yeah man I know what you mean, that would suck:biggrin

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Dress professionally and be well groomed. This doesn't mean you can't have long hair or anything, just don't look like a slob.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. greenbrucelee

I always do the only thing is I like my hair short cos you dont have to comb it but because I am a bit stocky and short some people think that I am a bit of a thug.

10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Appearance does matter, but your hairstyle, in this instance, would not - otherwise employers en masse would be done for discriminating against bald people - something which you do voluntarily :)

Presentation level will always depend on the career you're in, and what you're aiming for. These days I go to work in trouser suits or, in summer, (god forbid it) a skirt.

Three years ago I was a forklift truck driver. I wore full overalls, rigger boots and had cropped, blue hair.

Different horses for different courses. Good luck with your job interview! :thumbleft

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with the everyone here. My hair is a little bit long, basicaly soccer hair style and I dress professionaly when I got to work and when I had my interview and no really cares about that and I had no one tell me that I have to cut it because it doesnt look professional.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. greenbrucelee

cheers guys & gal I will keep it the way it is

13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

We've had this sort of debate a few times.

I know we should be all Star Trek, and appreciating diverse cultures, but I can tell you now - right or wrong - if someone turned up for an interview with me with a prominent tatoo, facial piercing or wild hairstyle, I would turn them down.

Never mind freedom of expression - I'll think of a reason other than 'bad hair'.

What you have to understand is that what you may consider a 'free and radical self expression of creativity' a potential employer will consider 'lunatic with no idea about conformity or team skills - potential trouble maker'.

Take it to court if you like...

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. Sparky

It’s a sad state of affairs when someone with a piercing or a tattoo would get turned down for job even if they had the required technical ability and people skills. But that’s life. :biggrin

I have tattoos and have had some questionable/dodgy/’what the f**k were you thinking’ haircuts over the years but somehow I have made the position of ‘IT Manager’ so I must be doing something right.

For interviews cover up the tats and take the piercings out, you only get once chance to make a first impression and all that jazz. 8)

15. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I gotta agree with JonnyMX here. Whilst it shouldn't metter what your hair looks looks like, it does. As Trip said, dress smart, be well groomed and you'll be OK. However, and I know I'm wrong. but in my previous job (Assistant Manager in a Leisure Centre) if someone turned up with long green hair then I would have probably have marked them down in the interview.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  16. greenbrucelee

I dont have any piercings but I do have a tattoo of Hong Kong Fooey on my right leg but I am not going to turn upto a job interview with no trousers on as I would definetley not get it

17. Sparky

Yeah, that’s just the world we live in so I accept it.
    I interviewed a girl for an entry level helpdesk job a few weeks ago and she turned up in a T-shirt and jeans! My first impression was ‘FFS’ and she even swore in the interview.

The second guy was well presented and could talk a good game (I didn’t interview him though) and we took him on. Turns out he knows nowt about IT.

Just shows the whole interview process can be a lottery sometimes! :biggrin

18. greenbrucelee

If I was an IT manager looking for staff as long they looked reasonably well presented that would do for me I would be more inclined to go for the person who knew their stuff rather than what they looked like.

Maybe I am just being a bit naive about that but personality and knowledge should be more important than wether you look imaculate or not

19. Sparky

I agree, but the person interviewing you might not think that though so best not to give them any reason not to like you. 8)

20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Every company has an image that it wants to project, usually that image is a professional one. Would you be confident in going to a dentist that sported tattoos and a Mohawk, i think not?

I can say that in my younger years, during the 70s when i had long hair, i most definitely was held back because of it. I realised this and cleaned my act up in the 80s, got a sensible hair cut and started wearing suit, shirt and tie to work. From that moment on, my career took off and it wasn't long before i was the boss and giving other people dress code guidelines.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)