Does Anyone Offer Consumer Support?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by JohnBradbury, Feb 5, 2008.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Is there anyone on the forum who offers consumer IT support? Whether it be through a retail outlet or home visits?

I was seriously considering a move into this line of work from corporate support and wanted to hear from people already doing it.

Thanks

2. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

Geeksquad? Why would you want to do consumer over corporate? Ive done consumer and it sucks. I hate going to peoples homes and working on their stuff.

WIP: N+, A+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Given a choice, I'd much rather do desktop support in a business than for the SOHO or home customer. In the corporate environment, IT (at least in theory) has control over the hardware and software they support so they can limit the number of support scenarios. For the home customer, the sky's the limit. Who knows what krap they have on their computer or what worse krap their teenager downloaded from some dodgy "free game" or pr0n site. I did that once. Never again.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You downloaded krap from a dodgy "free game" or pr0n site? :ohmy

heheheheh :p

I don't mind going to residences. Cleaning crap off of computers and giving people sound computer-related advice because of what you find are what make your customers become your repeat customers. ;)

All that said, it can be stressful. The sales aspect alone is unappealing to me... I'd rather be doing the work than trying to find customers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. JohnBradbury

I'm trying to weigh up the options really. In the past I've always opted for corporate support as a contractor, it always seemed like less hassle and got me working with more advanced technology.

However the job market both contract and perm in my area is a joke. I'm finding that the gaps between contracts are getting longer and the money I'm getting has reached a glass ceiling.

My thought was to start a local service company aimed at the small business market and building up off the back of consumer support. Really be my own boss for once.

6. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

I agree with you whole-heartedly. Ive done both and I will never do SOHO or Home-User support again. NEVER again. You just never know what your getting into from one day to the next, and home users will ocasionally fight you about getting paid. Its just not my cup of tea but someone has to do it I suppose.

7. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I know a few guys who are tradesmen (plumbers, sparky's etc) and although they don't do IT, they have had to at some point (usually during their apprenticeship) visit peoples homes to carry out work.

The one thing they all say is that they hate visiting peoples homes because you never know what the home is going to be like. There are some real dirt-bags out there who have no concept of hygeine. I've heard stories of peoples home with dog shite all over the carpet and floors, house hasn't been cleaned in years and the house absolutley reeks!! :sick They just couldn't wait to get out of there!

I know not everyone is like this, but the prospect that you may have to work in these conditions is enough to put me off.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  8. JohnBradbury

Yeah, that doesn't sound good at all :eek:

9. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

Yeah you really want to take those type of scenarios into consideration. You have to realize that when you work in someones home, you no longer have control over the situation. They are your boss. You are subject to that individual and their needs and demands.

In my experience people tend to be alot more illogical and unreasonable about their home computers than companies do. This is purely my opinion of course, but its still something you should consider before making a career change.