Does anyone know what...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Mar 13, 2007.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Q) Does anyone know what the top ten IT jobs are in the UK?

Q) What the most desired IT qualifcations are in the UK?

Q) is there a Website that shows the labour statistics of the UK?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Any reason your interested?
    what are you looking for in terms of top jobs?
    top paid?
    most employed in that role?
    the definition is a bit hard to pin down
    and im unsure why it would matter either way
    aim to be great at a part of IT you enjoy, not the part that happens to be the in thing this week

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Doesn't matter what the top 10 IT jobs are. What would you enjoy doing? If you don't enjoy what you're doing, you'll be passed over by the ones who DO enjoy what they're doing, especially in the fanatical IT world. Some guys do nothing but live, breathe, and in extreme cases, lie naked with computers.

The IT jobs are definitely out there regardless of what aspect of IT you choose. Start out with an entry-level job, and build your certifications as you go. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Can't find one directed at the UK, as alot of these survey's are world-wide, but take a look here.

From a individual's point of view: see here.
    From a predicted point of view: see here.

If you mean generally, see here.

Not sure if these are the answers your looking for. And every site/survey will have different results, but I hope this is a start. Anyway hope this helps.

-ken

*please note that the above is for info purposes only, please see Phoenix & Brain's post if it is for actually getting into IT :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

WIP: MCSA 2003
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Because Trip posted in the news archive a review from certmag about the top ten jobs in the US according to the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor and I was wondering what the the top ten was in the UK

Certmag

Yes it doesn't have to be IT I just wanted to know what are the most wanted or employable jobs in the UK?

Everyone says IT is the biggest, but is that really true in today's times or are they still using figures from the 90's?

Mate, I am quite happy in my job and for the first time, I don't clock watch while on the job. Time goes very fast at work and I like the job satisfaction. But from what I read here I can't help wonder why so many people still go for MCSE when the market seems to be flooded with people with MCSE?

Maybe BBM can answer that bit of the question, from a trainers point of view which certification is desired the most?8)

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks wagnerk:thumbleft :rocks

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

The market is flooded with MCSEs because it has become a De Facto requirement for all intents and purposes
    its not an option for most people wanting to move up to semi senior positions and above, despite experiance, often companies want both, and having the experiance and the mcse can set you apart from the guy with experiance and no mcse

there are certainly other paths to walk, but an MCSE gives you a high level understanding of the most deployed server operating system in the business world day, Microsoft Windows!, and thats a pretty good start to have

its great to complement it with other stuff, in fact its very much a requirement to complement it, and MCSE on its own isn't that much to shout about for exactly the reason you state, theres loads of us! :)

9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks Phoenix, for clarifiying this, as its not a want it's a must to have the MCSE regardless of your years of experience in terms of job hunting.

I am saying this from experience because that's what most IT agencies and employers use as a job filter tool especially for most IT technical infrastructure/network support roles.

The choice is yours, if you want to stand a chance of a possible interview then I don't see why not go for the MCSE.

I have actually missed out on several role because the next person had both experience and an MCSE:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

So when these salesmen state MCSE is the best thing since slice bed, they are really talking out of the asses:blink

I have noticed on some of the threads here, that people believe an MCSE will automatically get them a job???
    But I have always believed it's experience with a certification and being in the right place at the right time that gets you the job.

But, thanks for your input Ryan.:thumbleft

11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

What about MCP?

Does that not count for something in the Job world?

12. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

cwjobs has information about jobs by demand, skills and region located here.

Only shows Systems Admins and Software developer at the moment but i'm sure that there used to be more. You may have to login for more complete access.

HTH

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Stoney:thumbleft

14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

In my experiance an MCP counts for bugger all in the job world
    saying that, it depends on the role your going for, who your up against, experiance and what your working toward achieving

thats simply my experiance, and a lot of that was gained during the latter days fo the dot com period so things have changed a fair bit

15. BosonMichael

The certification desired depends on the company and the position. A company that needs an Oracle DBA to administer an Oracle database would look for an OCA/OCP/Master OCP (with experience). A company that needs a Windows Server admin would look for an MCSA/MCSE (with experience). A company that needs a Cisco router admin would look for a CCNP/CCDP/CCIE (with experience, and the certification depending on the level of complexity).

Which certification is MOST in demand? Well, which technology is used most? Every company I've supported in-house or as a consultant uses Microsoft Windows, either at the workstation level, the server level, or both. With that in mind, I'd guess that Microsoft's certifications would be very much in demand, wouldn't you? ;)

Obviously, one has to crawl before they walk, and walk before they run, so to get to that level, you need entry-level certifications, like the A+. Afterwards, I'd recommend Network+ and the MCDST. Once you've gotten those, gotten your first IT job and built a bit of experience, you'll be ready to look at the next step.

There's no shortcuts. Work your way up the ladder, one rung at a time, and you'll do just fine. Try jumping rungs, and you just might fall.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  16. BosonMichael

Exactly. Note that in both cases, the company will look for experience. The MCSE will merely set yourself apart from those who have the same experience level and skills, but no certification. For those who are serious about their careers, it's not an option... because if you don't get the MCSE, your competition SURELY will... then who will have the edge over whom?

17. BosonMichael

The MCSE is great, but yes, those salesmen either don't know what they're talking about, or they're out-and-out lying. An MCSE will not guarantee you a job. Many people believe that rumor because that's what they've been told over and over, through school, training courses, bootcamps, etc. The people on these certification forums who already have IT careers can tell you that the rumor is absolutely NOT true. You are quite correct: experience + certification + education + networking (the people kind) will put you in an advantageous position to get you IT jobs.

18. BosonMichael

Ryan's absolutely correct. It means little. After all, what does it mean to say "I'm an MCP! I'm an MCP!"? Does it mean you can program in C#.NET? VB.NET? Administer Windows 2000 or XP client workstations? Administer Windows 2000 or 2003 servers? Administer Exchange? Administer MS SQL Server 2000 or 2005? By itself, the MCP title just means you've passed a Microsoft exam. That's not very descriptive, is it? So what do you think an employer thinks when they see MCP on a resume?

On the other hand, MCDST is quite precise. That means you've taken two specific exams relating to Windows XP desktop administration, and can probably perform tasks related to that. Thus, in my opinion, the MCDST is much more desired than just the plain old MCP.

Microsoft realizes it, too: they're doing away with the MCP designation for new exams. Instead, new exams will often get you designations of MCTS: SpecialtyName. You could have...

MCTS: SQL Server 2005
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Web Applications
    MCTS: BizTalk Server 2006
    MCTS: Basket Weaving...

...well, I exaggerate a little bit. But only slightly: there are currently *17* different MCTS certifications!!! Microsoft's gone quite overboard in the other direction, if you ask me... from terribly ambiguous with the MCP, to far too descriptive with the MCTS.

19. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks for answering my question:thumbleft

20. BosonMichael

Glad to be of service to ya.