Do you think im ready? -701

Discussion in 'A+' started by bondbill2k2, Oct 16, 2010.

1. bondbill2k2

bondbill2k2 Bit Poster

Ok having studied for abit in free time and recently more intensely I was feeling fairly confident and decided to test myself with the Mike Meyers 7th edition All-In-One exam software which comes with the provided software. (Total Tester)

I plan to take the 701 then give myself a little break for 702 a week or two later. The 702 actually seemed almost easier for me due to working as a computer technician I often have to diagnose and troubleshoot a range of systems.

Well having taken the 701 Total Tester software I managed 89% first time and in the 90's on a second test, both times some of the questions I didnt do well on were misread by myself e.g. a printer question which it stated was installed locally I put a network related solution down :blink

Having read on here most people recommend trying multiple sources for practice work, so I purchased exam crams practice paper book and software CD. Having tested myself with their software I was in the high 60s and low 70s, although a few questions regarding SCSI threw me off and a couple were on RAID which I completely forgot (Don't worry its strong now 0-disk striping (remembered by 0 gives 0 protection if a HDD fails just speed increase, 1- Disc mirror and 5- Disk striping with parity)

Worried abit by my result I looked around to reviews on exam crams book, a few people had commented their questions are genraly harder then A+, some not greatly worded and their was atleast 2 questions I got wrong because the software was saying select more than 1 and I was only able to use Radio buttons :dry

I have already purchased a Voucher from gracetech which is valid till next year but of course I wish to pass 701,702 before next year to ensure its not a 3year only.

Would you say im ready to take my A+ 701? :biggrin

Certifications: Bsc(hon) Computer Studies
    WIP: Comp TIA A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The exams that come with books are similar to the test but normally you only get 50 or so questions instead of 100.

I would recommend getting some proper practice exams from a reputable place. Exam providers I have use are Transcend, preplogic and Boson with Boson being the best.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Judging by your test results you might benefit from another study source. I'd advise getting another book or some other alternative view. What Meyers covers is his interpretation of what the A+ objectives specify, someone else will go deeper in some topics and sometimes even wider.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. bondbill2k2

bondbill2k2 Bit Poster

I currently use a few sources, two study guides (Mike meyers all-in-one and exam cram books)
    I also use professor Messer's for some study now and then when needing a break from reading.
    For practice exams Total Seminars and Exam Crams Exam Gear2.

I also receive the question a day email from Professes Messer's (which I don't think ive got wrong once since beginning study)

Just ran another random practice exam from the Exam cram CD and achieved over 80%, again some answers I did poorly on are areas no longer in the A+ Exam such as SCSI.

Few areas ill be studying in more details

-Common ports
    -Security (seen alot of questions on smart cards)
    -Printers - mainly in the internal components of lasers
    -Cable types/max length and speed details
    -Little more work on network troubleshooting as im not 100% sure on some when answering.

Not too bad tho other areas such as hardware,OS and other troubleshooting bits ive normly achived 95-100% on :)

5. nn

nn Nibble Poster

Certifications: A+
  6. bondbill2k2

bondbill2k2 Bit Poster

Now passing the practice exams from the exam cram without any trouble and achiving 95%+ on the mikes total semenar software :)

Essentials is booked for the 2nd November :)

7. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Good luck m8 :thumbleft

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  8. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Good luck there!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  9. bondbill2k2

bondbill2k2 Bit Poster

Passed the essentials 220-701 with over 800 :biggrin and I was already aware of those which were wrong before completing (the few i'd flagged)

Very pleased, shall be taking 220-702 in the next few weeks, pretty confident about that one with a more technical/practical approach being more familiar to me from my current part-time employment.

I'd recommend the Michael Meyers "All-in-One Exam Guide 7th edition" to anyone planning on taking this, accompanied by the Professor messeer online videos. I also used Exam Cram's 4th Ed A+ guide and practice questions altho I felt that Meyers software questions were better worded.

Exam Crams 'Cram Sheet' Is also very useful, a double sided piece of A4 Card full of facts figures and important info to remember, ideal for study on the move or just testing yourself...or even make your own bullet pointed factual study sheet :)

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple