do you study for both tests at the same time, or separately?

Discussion in 'A+' started by cafepithecus, Dec 7, 2012.

1. cafepithecus

cafepithecus New Member

Just a bit of background, I have a lot of personal experience with computers and a ton of work-related training in computer forensics - but no work experience in IT or CF at all. I'm trying to get the A+ under my belt because the three-letter federal agencies require it.

I bought the Mike Meyers book and I'm finding the sheer amount of material on these exams to be HUGE! I can see now why it's two exams. It doesn't look like difficult stuff, just a lot to remember and go over. I just got the book last week and I'm reading through the entire thing just to familiarize myself with the material, refresh my memory from stuff I haven't used in a long time, and see what my weak points are. After that I plan to watch the Professor Messer videos and take notes, then go over the objectives one by one.

What I'm trying to figure out is, do most people study for the 701/801 and concentrate on those objectives/material - and then move on to concentrating on the material for the 702/802? Or do people just kind of study ALL the objectives/material together?

I know there is a lot of overlap in the knowledge required for both exams, but obviously there are separate objectives for each exam. Just wondering if I should be trying to cram EVERYTHING into my head at once, or if I will miss out anything by specifically gearing my studies toward 701/801, THEN 702/802. Hope this makes sense.

2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I know exactly how your feeling, I was there once!

I studied towards both exams at the same time due to the big overlap of topics. I did the exams about 3 weeks apart and in that 3 weeks I just used some mock test software such as Transcender to make sure I was ready for the next test and nothing was missed. I re-read any bits I wasn't 100% on.

I passed both with pretty high scores so can't of gone far wrong with that approach!

Best of luck! 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

I studied for my 70-680 and 70-686. Passed the 70-680 3 weeks ago and I'm taking the 70-686 next week. but now I'm always prepping for the 70-680 and doing Linux + in class lol.

For my a+ I did study for both test but I took the 701 1/2 way through the book lol. Then I took the 702 at the end.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA
  4. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I studied for them both at the same time but focused more on the 701 until I passed it and then took the 702 exam 4 weeks later and during that time I studied heavy and passed

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  5. baha69

baha69 New Member

I studied for both at the same time but did not take them at the same time. Similar questions are on both tests. I used the study guides and cram sheets at ************ to study and that was all (I passed). I feel the need to share them because they are excellent and free. I searched for a long time before I found them. I didn't use Profesor Messer or Meyers because it was way too much info. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012