Do you like e-books?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Im not a big fan tbh, cant use 'em, just cant read lots of info electronically, rather sit back with a physical book in my hand.

You?

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I use my Kindle app EVERY DAY, I love it, I mean it's so much easier to read on the iPad Mini than carry around dozens of books (I read a couple of hours a day, be it at lunch time and evening or just at meal times).

I do own multiple versions of some books (VMware mainly). I have also read ebook versions of paper books I have previously read, I just find it so much easier with the Kindle app.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Juelz likes this.
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

My core love is book-books. I was devastated when I found out some of my forthcoming titles would be in ebook-only format, but now it looks like they will be paperback too after all. So yay! ebooks are just so handy - but I still collect first editions etc and love the "book smell" - either old books or new books!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
    Juelz likes this.
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

There is nothing finer than finding an old corner street book shop and that's it, I'm there for the afternoon. Proper books all the way, but there is a place for e-books, I'm just trying to find where. Yes I am a bit of a Luddite when it comes to books.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
    Juelz likes this.
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I cant read a book on my ipad, the back-light just annoys me too much. Ive not tried a kindle as yet so cant comment but having a paperback book just seems like the best way to read something. You can throw it around, leave it on the beach and not have to worry too much about security, it doesn't need recharging and you can pass it onto a friend after reading. I love technology but for me reading a book has be to the old fashioned way. :helpread

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
    Juelz likes this.
  6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Well tbh there's a book I got for free from a friend as an e-book as I was going to buy it from Amazon but it cost £50+ so suppose I will try to struggle through as it's a big saving. I had an e-book covering the ITIL exam and had to stop reading it and buy a hard-copy.. reading about ITIL is bad enough so may aswell do it comfortably.

7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I love my Kindle, although I do need to get back into using it. The battery life is spot on and there is no sun-glare what so ever.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
    Juelz likes this.
  8. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

I actually prefer ebooks to study as I find it useful when typing up my notes (copying and pasting text for example) For leisurely reading, I prefer a physical book.

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
    Juelz likes this.
  9. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

How do you ready your e-books.. on a laptop?

10. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I love actual books.. there I've said it, always have always will.. However saying that I've almost fully moved over to ebooks if its either on my aging Kindle DX or the amazon app on my tablet. Its just easier to carry around a library with a mix of reference pdfs and scifi novels. I've also in the last year or so gone through an exercise of donating or trashing all my old books and most of my CD's which was torture to do but absolutely necessary.

Personally for me the decline in physical media has happened over the last 5 years, I buy all of my music and most books in digital format and I've only bought 1 physical book that I can remember in the last 2 years or so (predictably a Doctor Who one).

I can't justify the amount of space they take up with the amount of value both contents and price wise they depreciate by. Ebooks are often cheaper to buy you've always got something that you can use to read them on so its hard to forget to have it to hand and they take up no space at all.

Despite that I miss the ability to flick through a real book and pick a section that interests me, I miss how easy it is to read real books and Damnit Jim I miss the smell of real books.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
    Juelz likes this.
  11. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

So do you not find it difficult to read long books in e-book format? I happened to "stumble" upon a revision book that seems like it would be a good read but it is 400+ pages. Not sure if I can read all that in e-book format. Are there any e-readers you could recommend? Im simply using a pdf viewer where i have to scroll to pages, would be good if I could flick the screen to get from page to page.

12. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

No not anymore, I used to when I first started doing it which is why I bought the dx but now mostly I'll read on my iPad, laptop or in emergencies on my phone, but I do think you its something you need to get used to doing.

If you think about it how much text do you read on a daily basis on your laptop, way more than you would from a book every day I bet just in smaller chunks.

I've not looked at the recent kindles (mine is from 2007-ish so its pretty old) but I'm sure that the touch options must allow for flicking these days, but I mostly have my tablet on me where ever I go so I'll just read from that.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
    Juelz likes this.
  13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Juelz, I read for over an hour a day on my iPad Mini, giant tomes of books (sci fi, action, computer etc). I mean at lunch time, in the evening, in bed etc, I can read anything but it depends on the subject matter. Reading some IT books can send me to sleep, others are just fine.

For me I use the Kindle app, it's not just for books purchased from Amazon, VMware have a whole slew of books released in the mobi format that I can email to my kindle app and they display in the app, it's the same with Packt Publishing, they have books that they can email directly to your kindle.

Oh and it's flick of the finger to turn a page, not scrolling.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Juelz likes this.
  14. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

I mainly read e-books on my pc. I read and make notes on a page by page basis. May be considered to be a bit long winded, but works for me :)

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
    Juelz likes this.
  15. Waqas Ahmed

Waqas Ahmed Nibble Poster

Prefer physical books, but they do tend to cost more money, so cheaper > look and feel of books!

Certifications: CCNA R&S
    WIP: CCNA ???
    Juelz likes this.
  16. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I like them yeah. I love the kindle amd when I'm travelling I use the kindle app on my phone, if I don't have my kindle with me. I used to think paper was better but now I think, save the trees.

I also like the instant delivery, no more waiting for the post :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Juelz likes this.
  17. Waqas Ahmed

Waqas Ahmed Nibble Poster

Think if I had a kindle yeah Id probably prefer e-books, but as I'm looking at light, I prefer the text! As I hardly read much (Aside from articles), the kindle seems to be a "Hmmm" expense.

Certifications: CCNA R&S
    WIP: CCNA ???
    Juelz likes this.
  18. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

iPad ftw, I carry both my iPhone and iPad with me pretty much all the time. The Kindle App is amazing and works a treat on either of my apple devices, works slightly differently on the Nexus that my wife uses tho.

Juelz likes this.
  19. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I have always been a fan of physical books over e-readers, but just recently I have found studying using my iPad much easier. I still use the book when I need to flick to the end of chapter answers etc and would always still buy the physical book as well though... call me strange.

I may also soon invest in the Kindle Paperwhite for leisurely reading as the amount of books I have got through over the years is staggering. When I moved recently a charity shop got the lot!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
    Juelz likes this.
  20. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster