Do you give presentations in work?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by JK2447, May 10, 2015.

?

Do you give presentations in your present job?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. What job?!

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I have two presentations to give next week so I wondered, how many of you have to give a presentation every now and then? What are your thoughts on giving presentations in general?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Juelz likes this.
  2. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Yup all the time in this job, have at least 1 internal and 3 external with customers to do this week, joy.

Would rant on more about it now but wife's asleep and the typing will wake her up so will save you that pleasure for another day ;)

JK2447 likes this.
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hated it at college, I usually could muddle through by adding humor to it.. I just hate when attention is all on me. I work in surveillance and I had about 12 managers around me while I was operating over 100 cameras and I couldnt lose sight of the "objective" for a second or the whole thing would have gon titsup and there would be hell to pay. I was shaking inside could have easily evapourated into thin air.

JK2447 likes this.
  4. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

I gave two presentations this week and now suspect that I am wired up backwards. The first day I felt I had nailed it, taking about 40 minutes to explain what I do and the challenges etc. Giving my take on the challenges one might face when transitioning from techie to architect to a group of techies attending an all day workshop, and about six of the top managers in our architecture practice. The second day had a lot more attendees and they were running late. I was told just as I went on that I had to compress my presentation into fifteen minutes. I felt I rushed it, and that it didn't go half as well as the first day so I asked for some feedback from the management present. I'm fairly new to presenting so I felt I'd done OK, but definitely messed the second day up. To my surprise the feedback I received said all of the management felt I did well on the first day, better on the second! I was asked on Friday if I could give a presentation to my customer because the business office manager had heard this week went well.... :S
    I'm going to do some internal online training over the next few weeks and there's a master class on offer, one day, so have asked when that's on next.
    I thought I'd share my experience as I didn't feel very confident going into this but luckily I don't think anyone knew I was a little nervous.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I have done presentations in front of the business before, it's intimidating but the answer to it is being confident in your subject matter, if you know what you're talking about then you can simplify the presentation by pretending that you're only talking to a small group of people rather than a large group.

If you act confidently and come across as confident then you walk away from that as a shining example of someone who knows his stuff (even if you feel you didn't do well).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

My trouble is I can talk to anyone, always found that very easy, but presenting, not easy, which I know is daft. It's top of my improvement list for this year. Training and volunteering to give more, it's the only way

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

There are some great courses to go on to improve presenting and confidence in front of people. If you know any actors they are great people to ask for advice from.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well in uni we did presentations, which started off well, but then halfway through i realise people are watching me, which makes me nervous.

We have a weekly briefing at work and the subject can be anything, well mostly. After watching many of the mostly boring ones i have realised that IF you know the subject you are talking about then go for it. Imagine the audience as something you dont care about but would like to speak to etc. This time last year, If i was asked to do the thought for the week, i would of collapsed in a heap, but now my confidence has changed somewhat, for the better, and a golden rule of any presentation in my eye, there needs to be some form of humour in it. Just to win the crowd over so to speak.

The best one at work i saw, and i was totally gobsmacked, was when one of the teachers started talking about voyager. At first i was like, god no, this is a crap version of star trek, but obviously she talked about the other voyager.

Her knowledge and the passion she shown, plus the fact its stuff im into as well helped.

So you will not please everyone, no matter how hard you try, nor will you keep everyone interested, but deliver a confident presentation and no one can knock you

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  9. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Wish I did mate. I have another presentation to give in a few weeks so I will be devoting a bit of time to practicing on colleagues, memorising the content etc. It's something I'm determined to master as a good presenter impresses the heck out of me. I agree if you know your content It's a lot easier to be confident, I think it's the key

10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The best presenter I have ever witnessed is my former CIO, that man is amazing at holding a room, he just oozes confidence.

I would honestly work for that man again in a flash, he was so awe inspiring.

11. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

A pleasure to watch and listen to aren't they. I've met a few in our place. I wasn't sure on my current role at all at first but now that I've settled in, I want to be the best I can be and I see presenting and holding a room as an important part of that. I don't want to be great but behind the scenes. My employer has loads of opportunities if you are willing to stick your neck out because so many want to just do a good job and go home. They don't want the stress of showcasing what they know. I doubt I'll ever be great but I'm going to aim to be

12. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The more you talk in front of people, the easier it gets.

I have no problems taking to small groups of people, it's when it get's about 20 or so that starts to worry me.

13. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Ditto. The presentations this week, day one was about 15, day two about 25. I kind of felt it was make or break for me which added to the pressure as 6 of those comprised my boss, and five of his bosses. My feedback was great but I'm a little odd when it comes to feedback. I was very happy to receive really positive feedback, but because I thought I could do better, I am still not overly impressed with my performance. I'll just keep giving them, my next is in a few weeks on another subject so almost looking forward to that. Actually looking forward to it is perhaps a bit of a stretch ha ha

14. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The best method I use to practice is write down notes on some card, then use a web cam to record yourself and see how you feel about it when watching.

15. Waqas Ahmed

Waqas Ahmed Nibble Poster

I'm like this, however when I was at an interview, I found myself essentially presenting work I've done (ie: a guide I popped on the interwebs) I think becasue I wasn't in "presentation mode" and I was more in "interview mode" that made it a bit easier. It's the same as presenting my uni work to a few different people. I was more in "general chat" mode as opposed to "presentation mode" Considering you're also the type of guy that can "talk to any one" perhaps try that? It's certainly made presenting for me a bit easier, if I didn't actually think I was presenting, but then afterwards it "clicks"

Certifications: CCNA R&S
    WIP: CCNA ???
  16. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

@SimonD the webcam is a great idea, I will definitely do that as I'm keen to see if I look how I feel. If I look more confident than I know I am, that might then boost my confidence knowing I hide it well. Nice one mate.
    @theinternet I hear you mate. I had to give a ppresentationin the interview for this job and I felt I nailed that because I'm really confident in interviews. To be fair I was only interviewed by two people which also helped, a lead architect and the head of architecture. I'll see if I can get into.interview mode when I'm practicing.

I should mention I'm not bad at giving these so I hope I'm not painting too bad a picture. I just want to be better. Appreciate the tips guys

Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  17. Waqas Ahmed

When I gave my presentation, it was an impromptu one where I had my laptop on me cos they made me do a whole scenario beforehand! I was presenting only to two or three people, but I only really realised that I presented something to someone AFTER the interview was over! I didnt get that job due to financial constraints :( Ah well! It's all practise and stuff

JK2447 likes this.
  18. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I have to give occasional presentations, Hate it, but I can get through them. I also don't like being the sole point of focus, whether I know my subject matter well or not. I always get told that I come across well in them, but it is definitely outside of my comfort zone.

I get very nervy, sweaty palms (always a treat when shaking peoples hands at the end), dry mouth etc. Apparently it doesn't come across though so I suppose that is good at least.

I just hate when you do get caught with a query that you have not accounted for and can't answer there and then, I know it happens, and it happens to everyone, but I hate not being able to immediately answer something and having to say I will have to come back to people on it. Not sure why. It's up there for me with being asked at the end of an interview if I have any questions, I hate saying no, I have to find questions. lol.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  19. Waqas Ahmed

I had my presentation today. I took my own advise and went in to "general chat" mode, though I was only presenting to..two people! Managed to make it around say...35-40 minutes long as well!

20. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Nice one mate. Sounds like it went well. All builds on your experience.
    @Coupe2T it's alarming how many times you used the word hate in your last post ha ha ha

Waqas Ahmed likes this.