Do they ask subnetting in 291?

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by stolenblessing, Jun 30, 2008.

1. stolenblessing

stolenblessing Nibble Poster

Hello Folks,

I am very poor in subnetting. I did study for my CCNA certification, but forgot since no practice.

Is it there in 291?

Regards,

Certifications: CCNA, MCP (70-290)
    WIP: 70-291
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You may get questions on it yes. How many, depends on each individual exam ... It's not a major topic in the 291 but it's still hard to tell how many questions you may get. I got hardly any on mine.

Probably not good advice, but you could just assume you are going to get little or none and not bother revising subnetting. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Crito

Crito Banned

The MS Press training kit spends a good deal of time on it, so I'd say it's a major topic.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Learn subnetting until it is second nature to you. It NEVER goes away... you'll use it throughout your career (and in *many* exams!).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I dunno, if you look at the objectives I'd say it really only fals into the first section 'Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining IP Addressing' and DHCP is a major element of that section.

DNS, RRAS & DHCP are the real biggies for the 291, subnetting is very minor in terms of the the exam.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  6. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I would still do some revision on subnetting. If you think 'I wont get any questions on that' you just know every 5th question in the exam will be a subnetting question....

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sure, it may only fall into one section of the exam... but that doesn't mean you won't get 20 questions on that section... nor does that mean that you won't get DHCP, DNS, and RRAS questions that ALSO rely on you knowing subnetting.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I did imply the same thing my 1st post BM (that you wouldn't know how many questions you may get on it etc..). It's also a chance you take I guess when it comes to how well you have revised a specific area. If you know you are weak in an area and decide to rely on strenghts in other areas it can be a useful strategy sometimes. I personally haven't relied on it for any MS exams but I have in academic exams before now.

I know what you mean as I remember many questions (more practice ones really) before my exam that you needed to know exactly how networks function at a pretty low level. If you didn't yoiu wouldn't have a hope with the routing aspects of the exam. I'm more referring to the specific topic of subnetting and supernetting which I personally consider different skills than what I have described. I know it's all interlinked but I do consider them seperate.

9. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

After just taking the exam I would say it's a good subject to have some knowledge of!

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK