Do people find ITIL interesting?

Discussion in 'Service Management Frameworks' started by Juelz, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I'm wondering if there are people who exist that find ITIL interesting? I assume there is no one alive that finds it enjoyable, but there maybe someone out there that finds it interesting to learn about and discover. I don't know if it's just me but it may possibly be the most boring thing I have ever learnt about, so boring that I'm fazing-off whilst watching the study videos, and I feel like even if Morgan Freeman was the one presenting the videos I would still be bored with it. If I fail the exam which I believe is a 50-50 chance, it won't be because I am stupid, it will be because the whole thing is ridiculously boring. As I've booked the exam I will sit it, but if I fail I won't be retaking it. Can honestly say I would rather sit through 10 hours of my misses asking me opinions on shoes and dresses.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Nope, never even looked at it.

3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Wise decision, I only looked into it as its on many helpdesk job descriptions but now I know what it actually is I don't want anything to do with it. I wonder if working in an ITIL organisation is hell on earth..?? I think its all wishy-washy nonsense tbh

4. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

I think employers just want to see that you can work within a framework. It probably makes sense in a large organisation. I'm glad I skipped the helpdesk and went straight to desktop support though. I think doing a helpdesk job, using ITIL, resetting passwords all day would have put me off IT for life.

5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

never even looked into it.

our service desk staff have all done it though

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I've got a mate who's an ITIL expert, so I guess he must do, but I personally think its incredibly boring. I can see how it provides structure, and most places have adopted it or a variation of it but interesting, not in the slightest. Value as a certification in the market place, I'd say its up there, medium, shows you're not all about technical exams

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Once you start paying people for non technical stuff they made up, you're on shaky ground :;)

8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Personally I can understand for wanting to implement ITIL..but I find it wastes a lot of time because people tend always find ways to either screw it up or not follow the process thus making things worse.

I am not a big fan of ITIL.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. Idunno

Idunno Bit Poster

I believe ITIL is written by the Office of Government Commerce, they are also responsible for Prince 2, I can honestly say its difficult to stay awake reading their material.

My interpretation on ITIL - a Framework designed to enable the "Business" to have metrics they feel comfortable; as though they are monitoring performance / output from IT and making wise choices about subjects they otherwise don't comprehend.

Certifications: HND IT, MCP: 70-290, 073, 067, 068. Prince2 Foundation
    WIP: LFS101x.2, ITIL V3
  10. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Agreed.

Not saying its useless but I feel it's all abit wishy-washy. I have no plans to progress past the foundation cert, never want to see it again tbh lol.

11. Azza

Azza New Member

I did Foundation last month and found it interesting in a way. I found it very logical and the models & theory etc made sense to me so I found it easy to understand. I guess if you're not that interested in business processes etc then I can see why it would be dry, but I agree that if you take elemenets are only implament them half arsed then you'll probably cause more harm than good.

12. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

The most boring course I have ever attended. The instructor was great and did her very best to make a dull subject interesting. I passed so I must have been listening, but I would rather sit through a week of Eastenders, Hollyoakes, Im a Celeb, X-Factor and Made In Chelsea and any other crap that my missus watches on continuous loop than have to re-visit those 4 days doing the ITIL again.

13. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Always been meaning to do some sort of ITIL certification but then a new version of Exchange server comes out and takes up my time.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Would take you about two days to study and pass the exam.

Sparky likes this.
  15. krrishone

krrishone Bit Poster

I have been watching ITSM ITIL Foundation course videos for past few days on Udemy, i can see why people say the subject is dry. The lecturer says 80% of the content that is already written on the slides, sometimes too much in depth for a foundation level course.

It is possible to pass the exam within few days of studying.

16. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Noted :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

I did Foundation, a few years back and found a lot of the theory really dry. I have a Service Desk background, so when I got to that section of the course it really came alive for me. I quite like process and procedure, so it was interesting to see methods I'd figured out for myself were actually very close to the framework's standards.

But, I don't think Foundation should be a separate exam and instead should be a couple of chapters as part of all of the base-level courses, so that 90% of what you study is relevant to your job role but you still get a taste of the 'bigger picture'. When I did Foundation, maybe 80% wasn't relevant to me.

Certifications: MOS Outlook 2010, MOS Word 2010, MCTS Windows 7, ITIL v3 Foundations, MCDST