Do I take the new job or not?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by 1/4, Aug 29, 2011.

1. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Current situation is that I am on £6.73 ph working in a job I don't much like unrelated to IT.

Was recently offered work as a temporary worker which needs to be put through an umbrella company for £7.5 ph. The new role is working under comet fixing blu-ray players, sound systems and plasma TVs and the like.

I have no experience of working through an umbrella company but I am picking up a feeling that I might be financially worse off in this new role. If that is the case then do I consider the move simply because it is more relevant for me now in getting an IT job than flat customer services (I already have customer service experience and appreciate it's import to IT).

Really unsure at the moment, any advice would be great.

Kind Regards

1/4

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

In fairness you will pay an admin fee each work, for the admin they do, so 77p an hour may or may not cover this.
    You will however be able to claim expenses such as mileage and meal allowances so this may make up the difference.

The role itself wont in my opinion get you an IT role in the future, but if you hate your current job then thats a better reason to leave.

Is the current role permanent, and how long is the contract for? (You can only work in one of these roles for up to 2 years, before you become whats known as an employee in disguise (not as transformers as it sounds), this is bad as you will be required to pay back any tax allowance you have accumulated those 2 years.

Also in contracting you wont get any holidays (although some umbrella companies hold money back as a quasi holiday money scheme)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Thanks.

I'm really not enjoying my current work so I'll keep my head down and plough on with this new job I have had offered. I didn't particularly expect the work to lead to an IT role but at least it is technical maintenance or so I hope. Have their induction tomorrow so we'll see how that goes. :blink

Kind Regards

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680