Do I still have a future in IT?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ee01akk, Nov 24, 2008.

1. ee01akk

ee01akk Bit Poster

Ok I have been working on an IT helpdesk for about 6 months now, doing 1st and 2nd line support for backup/ recovery storage solutions, and I'm really not enjoying it.

I like the technical side to the job, but not the customer support side- certainly not over the phone or by email. A lot of the customers are rude, and I haven't had any training on a lot of the backup technologies, so I literally am learning on the job from the customer.:rolleyes:I prefer to be doing more hands on support work, or I would like to try a new field within IT- maybe networking or database design/ development. What would I need to study to get into these fields for a beginner?

I am currently working on my A+ cert at the moment, but I'm wondering where it will take me in this difficult economic climate.

I guess the real question I have is, if you don't like helpdesk, are you really suited to IT support?

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I woudn't consider moving jobs at the moment if I were you. IT is hard enough to get into anyway and with the current economic climate and people loosing jobs left right and centre you'd be best to stay where you are.

Once thing start to improve ask a supervisor if you will get any other training and if not look for a job that will have it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Unfortunately now a days alot of IT jobs not only rely on your hard skills (eg technical ability) but also on your soft skills (eg team working, customer service skills, etc). When things go wrong, you are going to get irate customers on the phone, lets face it people aren't going to call the helpdesk when things go right.

Have you spoken to your manager or the personel dept about job related training? To be honest if you're learning how to do the job from your customers who you are supporting, then something is wrong at your company.

What else to study for? Apart from your A+, I would also strongly recommend the Network+, to start your building your knowledge on the networking side. As for being a DBA, you can look at Oracle, SQL2005 or a good entry level cert for the DBA is from MySQL as they do entry level certs (unlike Oracle and Microsoft).

But to answer your question about liking the helpdesk... It may just be the helpdesk position at your company coupled with the lack of training. While I would not like to go back to work on the helpdesk, there are alot of good and nice helpdesks out there.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

2nded.

Stay put at the moment, but if you really want to move then look for another, approach your boss about it and ask if there is any project work around (Developing the company website) for example if you enjoy web design, or developing something, if you enjoy that and so on.

Above all, find something you enjoy that isn't just the hands on side and start learning it, I've just started getting into php and MySQL databased out of boredom and I enjoy it. So that's another skill set I'll be able to stick on my CV at some point and once I have experience in it through studying I will be able to volunteer to help out with things at work that involve it.

The world is your oyster so to speak.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

With the current economic cliamte, I'd suggest this is not the time to jump ship and instead try to work out the issues (i.e. lack of training) so you can provide better support. Once there are openings in other departments (or companies) you can apply your softskills their too and have experience behind you.

6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I agree with the others - don't move unless you have to.

That said, my 1st and 2nd line roles I have received NO training at all, and learning the niche's of the system was down to the users telling me or if I was put on the spot, having a quick chat with a more experienced colleague on the immediate point at hand.

Not sure if its just a thing with big companies, but on reflection I know I made the mistake of joining my current company, but unless its a done-deal I'm staying where I am.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293