Do I really stand much chance?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Joecoral, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Joecoral

Joecoral Bit Poster

Whilst I have been using PC's for a long time, I am very confident with using Microsoft Office and various other software packages and have built my current PC from scratch (although that was 5 years ago and have probably forgotten how to do it again now), but other than this I have no real IT skills, no service/troubleshooting experience other than providing very basic support to my parents and some non-computer literate friends and relatives etc.
    I have (today) taken delivery of the Meyers CompTIA A+ AIO and the Streetsmarts books and am starting to plough through them, but am I am wondering at this very early stage in my career, with the IT industry being as difficult to get into as it currently is, do I really stand much chance of landing even an entry level job with my current (lack of) experience and formal qualifications in the IT trade ?

Certifications: BSc (Hons)
    WIP: A+, N+, MCDST
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Everyone starts somewhere so don't worry about that. You have picked a nice entry level cert so you stand a good chance. If possible get yourself an old pc to try and play around with, or maybe go into your local store and ask if they have use for someone who is learning to do this, and offer your time for free - at least you get the experiance.

Good Luck

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes, for example we're just sorting out an IT Apprentice at our place and that position is aimed at people with no real industry experience in IT.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Joecoral

Joecoral Bit Poster

Thanks for the encouragement guys, nice to know its not hopeless lol.

Ken - the thing with apprenticeships seems to be that, whilst great opportunities, the pay is rubbish (all the ones I have seen pay something like £80 a week) which, as I have bills and rent to pay, simply isnt a possibility

5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

It is both technical knowledge and your communication skills that matter, your ability to explain to someone how to do something. try writing a small manual on installing XP for your mum or something, see if she can install it from your manual then keep it as evidence of your ability to support users with communication. Will help at an interview and discussing before interviews.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Alot, but not all apprecticeship scheme start of with that (there have been some with starting salaries of £14-16k). Added to that if you're 19 (or over) and have been in the scheme for a year then the salary goes up to minimum wage.

I know that it's still not alot, but it's a start...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

What was your degree in? Have you looked at grad schemes? Whats your previous work experiance?

If I.T. was your degree you cud probs look @ getting a 1st line support job in any number of companies or public services e.g. School/Council. Ive seen plenty starting anywhere from 14-20k

I just graduated, I'm in my 4th I.T. job, so it can be done!

However don't forget you will have to pay your dues, you may have to start on a low wage to get the experiance etc.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  8. AndyDev

AndyDev New Member

When i came out of school at 18 i had no experince obviously only had GCSE's and a levels i got in touch with an agency and they tested my knowledge on computers and set me up with an interview in a call centre ( now i know call centres have a bad rep but theyre not all the same, ive worked in 3 of them and found thenm to be enjoyable) i dont the interview and was tested again passed with flying colours but baring in mind that at this stage i only knew computers and such from what i had taught myself in the house. well anyway the job was for first line support withing 4 months i was second line with a pay rise :) now im 22 n have a full time IT engineer job and one formal computer qualification so it can be done just make sure your heads in gear.

Apologies for the long life story

Certifications: comptia A+
    WIP: N+, MCSA
  9. Renllek

Renllek New Member

Joe, i have been in exactly the same situation as you. i have no certs or any commercial I.T experience.

You say that your built you own PC and have provided support (albiet basic) to friends and family, but you also say that you have no 'trouble shooting exp'? i beg to differ, every time somthing goes wrong on either you own or a colleges PC you are trouble shooting and there for learning!

Dont be fooled into thinking that you will not have the knowlage to work in an entry level/1st line job. As i have found out in my first job, many of the problems that you will be faced with will be very much like the problems that you will have already rectified for your family and friends. And if it is something you dont know there will always be some form of knowledge base that you check or someone else that you can ask.

Many of the the more complex problems will be passed on the 2nd/3rd line, so dont worry about it. carry on learning from you A+ book and mabye swat up a little on Active Directory (this helped me alot), you dont have to have the certs but i would say that so long as you have learnt enought to know what you are talking about and that you sell yourself well during the interview you should be in the running for the job.

You will get knocked back from quite a lot of jobs to start with and have your ego bruised quite a bit, dont let this dishearten you! Just persist, apply for every entry job that you see, even if they say 'must has 1years experience in the kind of role'. they may decided to take a chance!!

It took me 6 months of continuously applying for IT jobs before i got my break so dont give up. If it really what you want to do, then you WILL do it!! Good luck :p

Oh...........and dont rule out an apprecticeship scheme, even if it is only on £80 a week there will be finacial help that you will be able to get because you are on a low income. I dont know much about it, but if you go talk to someone from conextions, CAB or the job center. They will be able to advise you more.

WIP: A+
  10. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Spot on with this comment.

And even with commercial experience in 1st line you will find your self googling a large portion of issues. Millions of things could go wrong and no human can store information on how to fix all of them, but google can haha, my colleague has been here 5 years and still googles a lot.

Really push for apprenticeship scheme mate, they are your door in, stick at it on **** money for a year then your in more of a position to lean on your employer for a pay rise or look elsewhere.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  11. TruthOrDare

TruthOrDare Bit Poster

Quite a few jobs require someone who has passed their driving test.

So if you haven't passed your driving test, start taking lessons now.

WIP: A+
  12. Joecoral

Joecoral Bit Poster

Got my license, been driving since I was 17, thanks for the tip tho :)