Do I pick the phone or the computer...

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Missy, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Hi well it's not all plain sailing with my broadband connection.
    This is going to be hard to explain so bear with me :-(
    Well I have a extension from my phone socket up to my computer it has a microfilter at the top next to my computer.
    So if I want to go on line I have to disconnect my phone :-(
    I bought a double socket for the phone and computer at the phone socket.
    Plug it all in, phone works, but the computer goes off line.
    So I'm back at the begining.
    Any ideas please, hope it makes sense to 1 of you out there:-)
    Missy

Certifications: 15 credits NOCN Art and Design,Portrait.
    WIP: NOCN in Art and Design Advanced
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

1.) Try the extension at the bottom, at the wall socket end.

2.) How long is the extension ?

3.) Do you have DECT (cordless digital) phones ?

4.) Micro-filters on all sockets with phones or devices attached (eg other phones, fax, Sky box, alarm) ?

Are you using a ADSL modem or router ? Sorry for the 100 questions, just I cant get the ISP tech out of my blood :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Right here we go...
    1.Have done
    2.About 10m Cant resist it 'How long is yours' sozzz
    3.Yes
    4.Yes
    5.Bt voyager 205 ADSL Router
    Which has been tested today and working ok, they say...>:-)
    Hope this helps
    Missy

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

OK, so does the modem have a "data" or "sync" light ? If so, is this flashing, or lit solid ? Plugged in correctly ? The more info you can give, the better :)

5. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

1.Power on
    2.Diag No light
    3.DSL solid light
    4.Ethernet No light
    5.USB solid light
    Missy

6. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

The BT engineer didn't get it all up and tested? Or did he and now it's not working Properly?

Looking at the BT Voyager 205 router I see it comes with 2 microfilters? :blink

There's some info on how to have fun with BT microfilters here.

How are you connecting the computer to the router- Ethernet or USB? Have you installed the software that came with it?

*Edit* Looks like you have a solid DSL light and USB light so maybe you need to kick start it somehow. Have you told your computer to use the BT router as an internet connection?

If they gave you a CD it *should* (this is BT we're dealing with here) do it all for you

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  7. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Hi Pete Yes I did have a fault, but they said it was the line outside nothing to do with the computer. I have DECT's so I only need 1 Microfilter.
    It's connected with a USB and yes i installed all they gave me.
    missy

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Unplug all phones, leaving just the modem on the phone line and try again.

9. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

It works when i unplug the phone and just have the modem in,but dont forget my modem is up stairs and phone socket down stairs, the USB cable is only 1m long so the router cant go anywere else but next to the computer.
    Missy

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Starting to sounds like the filters. Also, how old is the BT wiring in your house ? If more than abut 25 years, you could be looking at wiring probs when you get probs like this.

11. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

I'll try the other filter and the bt wiring not that old 9yrs maybe.
    When i reported a fault to BT they made me test the router in the test socket in the wall Phone socket and said it tested ok.

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Did the BT engineer actually visit your home, or was this over the phone ? If the latter, and all else checks out OK, then you need to ask them to send out an engineer, and point out that you have already covered the most basic troubleshooting.

One thing - do you know anyone nearby with an ADSL modem you can test on your line, or can you take yours to theirs ? Just a thought, as BT may charge you for the engineer's time if the prob proves to be with your equipment (ie, if (s)he plugs in the laptop and it connects up fine)

13. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

I dont know anybody that uses an ADSL modem,mind you they said that was working fine, I'll give them a ring at BT tomorrow 'god not again'...
    When i had the fault, i rang them up to see what was going on, she said, "O i'm sorry but they forgot to report it", i was off line for a week, they said that they would compensate me, Cant wait for that :-)

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I can't help but feel that Big Terry may be at fault again here :rolleyes:

In our past experience in dealing with fault reports like this, the BT diagnostic that may come back to you (aka the "End User") as "a mis-configuration of the VC hardware on the DSLAM section of the pipe" usually translated as the BT guy had left his bacon butty stuck in a rack somewhere at the exchange ! A quick b0ll0cking down the phone usually meant that the ADSL line was back up a couple of minutes later !!! :biggrin

15. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i had a similar issue with mine actually. id suggest trying a different microfilter (there should be two in the box).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Missy I had the same problem as you when I was living in aberdeen...the computer was in the spare room and the phone socket was in the hallway...shame to say the phone was DECT...we did have another phone that was next to the PC but it was wired. so anytime I went online I had to disconnect the DECT phone in order to use broadband...which sometimes ticked off my ex-missus but she soon understood...there is no fault with your phone line from what i have read so far...if BT tell u to test the modem in the test socket and its working fine then your line is fine and so is the modem (take it from someone who has worked on both sides of BT phone and broadband)...now since u say have a 10m extension cable unfortunately you cant have phone and modem on the same socket unless u a) get an extension box put in the room where the PC is or b) keep going as u are (which I know is a pain) but there is secret option c) which is buy an analogue cordless phone plug the ext cable into the socket downstairs, on the other end put the ADSL filter in and then you can have the phone and modem in the same filter and with the phone being cordless you can take it anywhere u please in the house...if u get stuck with anything else Missy just give me a shout...ex BT broadband and phone guy here (blimey I feel ashamed to admit that!!! :eek: )

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hang on. Sorry, as I don't have a router, but shouldn't there be a light for the port on the router that the PC is pugged into ? It's picking up sync from the line ( 3.DSL solid light) .

Sorry of I am wide of the mark, and please correct me if I am, as my knowledge of actually using this particular hardware is nil.

18. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Well I think I'll leave the b0*%^*+<*g untill I find out if it is them or my end that is at fault :-)
    The trouble is you end up ringing them over and over again about the same prob and you get a new person everytime ,so you have to explain it all over again and again....... x-)
    Thanks anyway Gav, we'll see what they say tomorrow, i mean today ;-)
    Missy

19. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Not just me - don't forget the King of Punctuation, NoelG, and the rest of the Guys :)

20. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Ok thanks to you all....:-))
    I'm going to reads noels reply again when i get up, the brain cells need recharging ;-)
    Missy