Do I need to register with CompTIA to sit the A+?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Mikeyboy, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Hi Guys,

I am a bit confused - I have done several Microsoft Certs, but I am now ready to do my A+ and I booked it earlier (for 2 weeks tomorrow) and when booking it via Thomson Prometric, it asked me for my CompTIA membership number, or something like that, but I do not have one, I still managed to book the exam OK, I just want to make sure I haven't missed out on some vital step first!!

Also, once I have sat (both) exams, how do I get a certificate? I know with the Microsoft stuff, you request them from the MCP website - do you do something similar with CompTIA? I just wondered how it all works etc... will the A+ appear on my MCP transcript aswell?

Thanks in advance :)

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You only need to input the CompTIA number if you have done a Comptia exam before - this is so that they can link up your records.

The A+ will not show on your MS record until you pass the Network+ and/or Security+ and then request Comptia to forward those records onto MS. Comptia has an equilvant version of the MCP site where you confirm your details and then request the cert (however this also may be automatically, can't remember).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Just thought, with Microsoft certs do i get anything in the post for a second cert or is it just the 1st you get and the rest you download? If you do get a certificate do you need to request it each time or just wait?

Oh and if i forgot to put my MCP on the Prometric website when i booked one of my exams will that make any difference to anything?

Cheers

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

See here about transfering Comptia certs to MS for credit. See here for Comptia's version of the MCP site for Microsoft.

For the MS cert, is it on the older MCP track or the newer MCTS track? If it's on the older track you only get new certs when you achieve a new credential, eg MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, etc... However if it's on the new MCTS/MCITP track, then you get a new cert for every exam as each one is a new credential, and this applies to upgrade exam also (well for me it did).

As for forgetting to put the MCP ID when booking a MS exam. It depends, sometimes Prometric will link up your records by the e-mail address supplied, sometime not. If they don't then you'll get a welcome e-mail from MS (but nothing will be on your transcript), if that's the case all you have to do is ring MS up and ask them to consolidate/merge your records/accounts :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Cheers for the info. I just logged in to Prometric and luckily my MCP details were on there from last time. Think it gets saved with my foxmarks passwords as ccleaner never wipes it like it does with other stuff.

Mine are the older stuff so i will only be expecting a new certificate when i do the second MCDST then. I will take a look at my MCP site and download a new page with my updated details on it. :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA