do I need an MCTS first to start the MCITP process?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by justcrash, Jun 2, 2010.

1. justcrash

justcrash New Member

Hello all, i am brand spanking new to the cert world. I was given the microsoft press MCITP Enterprise Administrator kit for Christmas, so I was going to take the 70-640 first and so forth, then tak the remaining test needed (after the 4 for the Enterprise Administrator) for the Server Administrator.

My question: Before I start any of that, I read online that I need an MCTS to try for the MCITP. Is this true and what does the MCTS consist of? Thank you for your time!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  2. justcrash

justcrash New Member

Ok, this was a dumb question. Heck, my books even had it on there. Any test I would have to take for the MCITP path can give me the MCTS, correct? Sorry, like I said, this is my first foray in to this stuff and I appreciate a site like this existing for n00bs like me. :)

3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

First things first, the MCITP:EA is not designed for someone with no experience in the world of Windows 2008 server, it's designed for someone with 12 - 18 months experience behind them, just because you have the books doesn't mean you can pass the exams.

Secondly, the fact that you have to ask about the exams also proves that you don't have the experience required for the certification, why you ask? because you 'should' have prior experience to Windows 2003 and know all about the MCSE (the predecessor to the MCITP), you 'should' also know that the MCTS is the new MCP (ie you get the MCTS when you pass an exam).

Please do yourself and everyone else a favour and don't start on this, start with something like the Comptia A+ or N+ or even the MS MCDST (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Tech). If you go for the MCITP:EA you're not only doing yourself no favours but also cheapening off the certs for those that have already done it (and yes I am one of those and yes, I really do hate those people who get the certs with no experience because people then think the cert is useless).

Sorry to be harsh but I see this all the time.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. justcrash

justcrash New Member

:) I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. I am not knowlegable about the certification process because I've never needed to be. 3 years ago I fell in to a network admin job with no experience. Since then my personal growth has been through the roof. I won't list my accomplishments as no one cares but I don't mind saying I've vastly imrpoved the school district I work for through hard work, trial and error and tons of research. Most of our DCs are 2003, I just like 2008 better. I want to start the cert path because I am ready to move on and they can help me with what I call "swiss cheese knowledge". I have no intention of cheapening yours, mine, or anyone elses certs, sir. :)