Do I need a Post-Grad for job market?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Indo77, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Indo77

Indo77 Nibble Poster

Basically I got a crappy 3rd in my degree some years ago and I am wondering will this put off future employers when I go for a job? I already work in IT - I am a web developer with 3 years experience. Would this be enough or would I need to do some sort of Computer Science Post Grad Cert/Diploma to look better in a CV. I hate the thought to be honest of going back to an academic role. Doing the job for real is totally different from writing up endless boring assignments; many academics have not a notion of how it works in the real world. The problem is am I forced to go down this route again - a lot of employers ask for a 2:1 etc?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
    Certifications: BSc (Hons) HNC
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I've got a BSc Computing (no hons) and that didn't/hasn't stopped me. I'm an IT manager now and a CITP. One of my mate has a NVQ 4 in IT (the support side, not the user side) and he's also an IT manager.

Personally, I am looking at the possibility of a Post-grad qualification (or equivalent) for the future, as I'm looking at CTO/CIO level as a goal at somepoint in the far future - but it is not necessary...

If you want to increase your qualifications, why not look into the NVQ program (level 4 is comparable to a degree and level 5 is comparable to a post-grad degree) and see if there's a programming one available? If you don't want to go down the academic route or go for the ICTTech award offered by the IET/ECUK or depending on your level of work the CITP from the BCS? There's also a wide variety of professional certifications, while not the level of a post-grad qualification, they are respected.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security