DNS/WINS/NETBIOS/NETBUIE

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Trigun1, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Trigun1

Trigun1 New Member

Folks, please help me understand.

- Let's start from the begining, when a workstation is build, you have to assign it a NetBIOS name right?

- So lets say now that you assign it a workstation name of "WSN1"...
    - We have another workstation on the network called "WSN2"...

- In a totally Windows LAN network environment (not connected to the internet or no routing required), you would just install the NetBUIE protocol and the network would just work, right? The workstations would communicate via their designated NetBIOS names... correct?

- So now lets say now we take NetBUIE out of the equation, install TCP/IP on workstations and we add a DNS server. The DNS server maps NetBIOS names to the workstation IP addresses right? So for instance I would have a DNS resolved host name of WSN1.mydomain.local for WSN1. WSN1 of course being a designated NetBIOS name.

- Now because WINS is not configured, and WINS maps NetBIOS names to IP addreses right?

- Would I still be able to ping just WSN1. Or becuase WINS is missing a WSN1 is not resolved to an IP address unless I ammend the lmhosts file and add WSN1 192.168.0.3, would I have to ping WSN1.mydomain.local to get a ping response.

- OR if I am trying to ping WSN1 from lets say WSN2, would WSN2 send out a broadcast to resolve WSN1 to an IP address and store it in the local NetBIOS cache?

- The other thing I have read the host and NetBIOS name, they can and don't have to be the same? So if I do have a NetBIOS name os WSN1, I can log into a DNS server and staticly change the mapping table so that then I would have a NetBIOS name of WSN1 and a DNS resolved name of e.g. MYWSN1.mydomain.local? Is that true?

Im sorry if I am sounding confusing, that's because I am confused!!! Someone please help in explaining in complete dumbass terms how all this works.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

One of the problems in answering this sort of question is that the Windows networking set of protocols isn't static. It is constantly evolving.

So it depends on what version of Windows you are installing as to how things will be placed to start with.

Have a look at this starter article on Wikipedia, which is fairly clear in my opinion.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+