DNS Server

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Fergal1982, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Im about to set up my system with its domain, but was wondering if you can use the DC server as the DNS server too? if so, is it best to do this before or after the DC installation?

Currently i have a netgear router that performs my DNS and DHCP functions. I suppose i could just maintain this as the norm at present couldnt i?

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Running DHCP from your netgear router will cause problems, I would recommend to run it from your server for testing purposes.

You wont have any problems running making your DNS server a DC as well. From memory if you make the server a DC it will automatically created an integrated AD zone in DNS for you, happy days! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Fergal1982

it does indeed look like it sets up the DNS on the system, so thats not too bad.

am i right in thinking that a DC can only be set for a single domain? so i couldnt have my root domain and the child domain on the same server???

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. Sparky

You can set up as many domains as you need. Create a new forward lookup zone in DNS and that will create the new domain. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Fergal1982

sorry, what i meant what that if server1 is set as a DC for test.domain, then it couldnt also be the DC for int.test.domain (the child domain of test.domain).

6. Sparky

I don’t think you can do that but I may be wrong.

If you have a separate stand-alone server add the DC role and then select ‘child domain’. After that select your parent domain and supply the credentials of the domain admin and the wizard will do the rest. 8)

7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

As far as I'm aware, if you have a DC it is only for the domain that is controlling.

You can have a dns zone for another name space if that's what you mean (I think?)

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Fergal, it's not so much an *if* as a *must* you must install DNS on your DC and point your clients and the DC itself at it. DNS for an Active Directory domain is more complex than just pure name resolution, so your Netgear box will not support local DNS queries and Active Directory needs local DNS support.

You can set up your new local DNS server to forward queries that it is not authoritative for (jargon for external queries to the Internet) by putting your ISPs (or other Internet DNS servers) IP addresses into the forwarders tab in the properties of your shiny new DNS server. This will make more sense once you have got it running locally.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. maydenec

maydenec New Member

I think that is not difference between you make DNS before making AD and you make DNS immediately after you make AD'.

But better you make it before making DC

Certifications: 70-270 70-290 70-350
    WIP: 70-291