DNS questions.

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by warrmr, Sep 28, 2007.

1. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

Im working my way through all the Labs and practices in the course book 2277C, and have a few questions about the lab at the end of chapter 4. i will try any make it in as much detail as i can so you dont actually have to have to book to be able to answer my query.

The objects of the lab are
    -fault tolerent DNS using 2 servers
    -be able to resolve names on 2 domains (contoso.msft and nwtraders.msft)

the machines are setup as follows.

DEN-DC1
    -IP address 10.10.0.2
    -primary DNS zone Contoso.msft
    -zone transfers not alowed
    -primary reverse lookup zone 10.10.0.x
    -zone transfers to den-srv1

DEN-SRV1
    -IP address 10.10.0.10
    -blank install of DNS no zones setup

DEN-srv2
    -IP address 10.10.0.11
    -Primary zone nwtraders.msft
    -configured forwarder to 10.10.0.2 (DEN-DC1)

my query is to do with the configuration of DEN-srv2 i have completed the lab and have noticed one thing that doesnt make sense to me.

there are 2 records in the nwtraders.msft zone one is a (A) Host record for nw-srv11, now i know that this just translates hostname to ip address. so why when in the cmd console when i do
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ping nw-srv11.nwtraders.msft

does it not resolve the host name ( the nic is set up to use den-srv2 as its secondary dns server)

as soon as i add a (CNAME) Alias record for nw-srv11 (alias www. fqdn=nw-srv11.nwtraders.msft)
    i can now ping both www.nwtraders.msft and nw-srv11.nwtraders.msft and both names get resolved.

i know why www.nwtraders.msft is resolved once you add the CNAME record. its because you have just assigned a record so it will work.
    but i cant work out why the host (A) record isnt good enough for name resolution to work for nw-srv11.

i hope this makes sence to you guys. cos i have confused myself in the process of writing this.

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

warrmr,

Ask your Microsoft Certified Trainer who gave you the MOC 2277C course.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

He had gone home for the weekend when i come across this stumbling block. worked back through the chapter to see what i had missed to make it not work, and it was just a matter of adding in the CNAME record into the appropriate DNS server.

i just thought a quick post here may get a faster reply than waiting until monday evening when hes back in.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Glad that you got it sorted! :biggrin

5. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

I got it sorted yes. i still dont know why it works.

all i want to know is why if it just has the A record i cant resolve the ip address, but if i add a Cname record to the A record i can suddenly resolve the host name.