DNS on workgroup to Domain

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Fergal1982, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hey guys.

I have a workgroup machine on a network that has a vpn tunnel into a domain, and a router for internet breakout. Is there any way to configure my machine so that it will look on the domain DNS Server when I enter a server name? but still go via the local router for internet access?

I cant/dont want to make any changes outside my machine - the network is what it is.

Thanks
    Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

If your using windows for the VPN you can set the domain DNS server for dns in the IP properties, then select advanced and uncheck "use remote default gateway on remote network"

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  3. Fergal1982

Unfortunately not. The VPN is on the firewall, rather than my machine.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Possible just to use a hosts file instead of internal DNS?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Fergal1982

Yeah, thats more or less what im doing at the moment. But it means manual maintenance of the host file for every server - rather than being able to use the Domain DNS.

Sounds like a no go unfortunately. ack well.

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I think it depends what VPN client you are using mate. Also there can be options on the Firewall in regard to DNS\name resolution for VPN clients.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. TheMagician

TheMagician Nibble Poster

Try adding the domain name to that machine's DNS suffix search list.

Certifications: MCSA 2012, MCITP: EA, SA, ITIL