DNS issue - MX

Discussion in 'Networks' started by disarm, Sep 9, 2008.

1. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Hi,

Setup is as follows:

Remote 2003 server. Mailenable for e-mail.

Since moving our domain across from old server we can not send emails out to domains that have their mailboxes hosted elsewhere. (we host websites/emails). These domains have an 'A' record that points the domain to our server, and we have an MX record in the DNS of the server that tells it where the mailbox is. On the server, If I ping the pop/smtp for the domain name it still thinks the mailbox is being sent through the local server.

All email sent to local domain (i.e. ones that we host the mailbox on the same server) work fine.

I've checked the MX records to be correct using http://www.mxtoolbox.com/

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds like cached DNS.

Purge DNS on the server and run ipconfig /flushdns

8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I've flushed the DNS cache, not familiar with purging though.

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Restarting the DNS Server service on the server should do the trick - as should restarting the Netlogon service (make sure the network's not heavily used at the time!)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Nope, that didn't work..

6. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

It's weird, can send to external domains (gmail etc), but trying to send to a domain set up in IIS but with no mail account returns with a 'mailbox not local message', like its trying to send out to a local mailbox which doesn't exist.

What I have noticed is that any changes set up via the server control panel (its a remote server) do not show up in DNS and vice-versa. I've tried creating the MX records in both.

7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE