DLT Tape problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michael78, Jun 27, 2005.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Hi guys sorry aint been around for awhile. Been trying to sort out a few problems at work with pay etc (Not really doing my advisor of the month award much justice :( ). Anyway I've got a problem at work in that we have a HP DLT tape drive and new DLT tapes. The problem is that the tape drive keeps ejecting the new tapes after a few seconds. The old tapes work fine. I've checked and they are the right tapes for the drive. We are using veritas as our backup software. I've got very little experience of backup devices tbh so I'm totally stumped.

My gut feeling is that it is looking for a specific set of tapes ie the old ones and these need to be removed from veritas and a new set created within veritas. Other than that any ideas???

Cheers in advance

Michael

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It sounds like the same problem I had a few years ago (if only I could remember how I solved it).:oops:

I think you're right with Veritas looking for a specific tape set. I take it you have the backup scripts already written, so why don't you try creating/initialising/naming one of the tapes to the same name as is in one of the backup scripts.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Which veritas product are you using?
    Backup exec or Netbackup?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

We use Backup Exec, Nugget you have lost me on the scripts thing. As I say I know nowt about Backup Exec and my manager is being a pain in the arse in passing this onto me knowing I aint got a clue...:(

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011