Distance learning MSC

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Asterix, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Hi Guys,
    Ive always wanted to do a Part time distance learning course for my MSC and now i have been promoted and got some more $ and a possible loan from my employer i was thinking of actioning this plan! I had major dificulties with programming on my BSC with Pearl, C++ and Java (yes this was all unfortunately included on a networking degree :x) so i am now looking for a course which does not assess on these areas. I have an interest in InfoSec and currently persuing MCSA: Security. My collegue has recomended a MSC at Royal Holloway which looks great but when working out the funding required it seems to be around 5K+ each year and and i would be required to do this for 2 years to finalise the course, So looking at a possible 10K+ total over 2 years (in addition to my student loan i already have). I understand that for a sys admin role this wouldnt be a requirement (and may possibly seem overkill) but it is something i have always wanted to acheive and would like to get this under my belt so i can cross it off my list of 'Things to do before 30'!
    -Has anyone else done a distance learning MSC? If so what kinda costs were incurred?
    -Is anyone aware of reasonable priced MSC distance learning (or part time) courses (obviously IT related)?

2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

This thread may be of use :biggrin

I'm currently looking to switch to a distance learning MSc as now I'm working again it's difficult to get to Uni.

I'm looking at Business Information Technology and I know University of Liverpool do a lot by distance learning; also found Sheffield Hallam.

The Security MSc at Royal Holloway is very well regarded but I think (from memory) when I looked at it they want people with a security background really.

My own course at Southampton Solent may be offered by distance learning this September if they can get it ready in time - they're just looking at setting up distance learning stuff.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Ah I found this MSC in 'Information Technology Security' his one looks pretty good and at a good price too :pLinky
    Anyone have any experience of PT block learning courses at Westminister (or any other institutions)?

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Under 2k per year for a MSc, that's a very good price :)

However is that based on taking 5 years or just 2?

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Yeah i thought that was a little cheap, I have Emailed them to confirm this information (and get the timetable of course attendance so i can get this approved from my employer) :D

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Looks interesting ...... keep us posted !

7. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Course consists of 6 modules, each @ £450! This course can be done in block learning so attending a 1 week course and then completing the assesment 5 weeks later! Sounds great, So i have applied :P

8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

:eek:
    Best of luck with it m8 ! :biggrin

9. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Got to get accepted first :eek:

10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Fingers crossed mate :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

This is now processing, i am now required to provide full transcripts of studies and a work reference to confirm my role, position and abillity to study at this level. :rolleyes:I better chase my boss up

12. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I Got accepted for the MSC: Infosec at Westminster and currently undertaking this now (Just going through and updating some old posts! )

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Congrats mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Good for you ! :D