Discounted Office and vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Johnd76, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I have found a website that has major discounts on Microsoft office 2007 and Windows vista upgrades:

http://www.rm.com/thebasement/?srcurl=/rmcomhome.asp

check it out.......

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

RM - a very well known IT Company that supplies to school ('nuff said there :dry)

To get the discounts you MUST be a full time student

So the deal isn't that good for everyone here.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

AJ, if you have kids then you can also get school/student versions legally, even if they are 6 years old and are in kindergarten etc.

Strange but true. :scratch

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Very true Nugget, but if I remember right there are 2 types of such licence.

1. You can buy the licence and it is current as long as you are a full time student.

2. You can have a 1 year licence and re-new it every year whilst you are a student.

Now I am deff no expert at M$ licensing and I could be wrong, this will not help anyone here if they are self studying.

If I am wrong then I bow to someone's greater knowledge in M$ licensing minefield.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Does everyone here always go "by the book"? If there is a chance to get original merchandise from Microsoft, shouldnt we do it?

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Um no, if it's not legal its not legal, nuff said
    or perhaps you feel it's ok to jump the fare on the train because its not quite as bad as stealing a car for the journey instead?

If you use office properly, it's worth the money, if you dont, then there are plenty of free alternatives to fit your needs

and anyone who wants to use Vista as a main OS can cough up the cash if you ask me, 300 quid for an OS that will last 3+ years does not strike me as over the top, and thats for the super all singing version

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

besides, student edition software often isnt supplied in the box. When I bought my edition of Office Student back at uni, it was an empty box with a form in it. Needed to fill out my university student details and send it off. They then verify the details, and send you back the MS Office disks.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nah, we just pirate everything we use, don't you?

Actually... many of us here make a living off of others "going by the book", so most of us here do the courtesy of following licensing rules and restrictions. If it's worth using, it's worth purchasing legally.

Someday, you may be on the other side, and you'll realize what we mean.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sure mate, I didn't mean that it would help everyone but I just wanted to point out that a lot of us have kids and that those people could buy the software legally. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way for those that are self studying, or are younger than us (well, you :p ).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

.....NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO..............:knife

11. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

If you have kids then why not buy it? until then i will keep "bending" the rules until Microsoft do something about it

12. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

The purchases are legal............Im well withing my rights to buy these products!

13. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

If you fall within the criteria for student versions of MS software, then by all means, the link provided is perfectly legal to purchase from. Its a perfectly legit store to buy from, nothing wrong with students getting it from there.

But thats the point, its only legal if you satisfy the criteria. If you are not, in fact, a student (or have student children as has been pointed out), then purchasing them is NOT legal, and is a breach of the terms of use. So you would not be anywhere near within your rights to purchase them in that case.

We're not saying people shouldnt buy from the store, we're saying that before people fork out money, they need to make sure that they satisfy the criteria for the discounts.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  14. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

If there is a loophole then why not use it to buy the software. I don't blame people for doing this as Microsoft software is overpriced in the first place. It's better to get it this way then turn people to pirating it.

I used the upgrade trick to get Vista as I didn't want to use my corporate XP licence in the upgrade process and that got me Vista for a fair price so you may want to think of doing that as well if you don't have kids to use the loophole.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  15. BosonMichael

Never said you weren't... but you asked if we all "go by the book". I simply answered your question; most of us do.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  16. BosonMichael

That's an installation loophole; it's not a licensing loophole. Unless you've got a currently unused XP or 2000 Pro license key sitting around, you're not legally authorized to use an upgrade version of Vista.

17. michael78

I've read a few articles saying that Microsoft are allowing people to do this as a cheaper way to get Vista and to boost sales of Vista as they are currently crap. They haven't taken this method out of SP1 so the word is that Microsoft are turning a blind eye to this. Whilst it's not a licence loophole it's still a way to get Vista.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  18. BosonMichael

Still doesn't make it LEGAL. Might as well pirate it... after all, they're not going to come after you, are they? :rolleyes:

19. michael78

Yeah I see your point it's just like I pirated it (I'll go and flog myself right this minute) whilst your at it would you like to take the moral high ground on my driving as I went 35mph in a 30 zone yesterday.

The point being that this was well documented and was also documented on a Microsoft blog (I think). Comparing this to pirating the software is insulting. At work people can get a licence for Office for £18 but if they leave they are no longer entitled to the software. How many people do you think uninstall it (let me guess none) should we line them up a shoot them?

20. paradoxni

paradoxni Nibble Poster

I bought new hardware to build a new PC and ordered OEM version of Vista along with...built the PC, installed Vista, 3 weeks later formated, installed Ubuntu and chucked the Vista OEM in the bin :p does that make me a bad person ? :)

now to my question..

Is this OEM version legal? even thou I did not buy a ready built PC from an OEM manufacturer?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCDST, CCENT
    WIP: Server+