disable pen drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ManicD, Dec 26, 2007.

1. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

just got one of these 4GB pen drives, looks perfect for what i want/need....except...its not one pen drive, its two...

you plug the single device onto the usb port and it registers as two drive, thus two windows open on your screen everytime, now one drive is 1MB and one is 3.89GB. this PISSES ME OFF. i only want one window to open when i insert it.

i've been to the drive manager with the idea of deleting partitions and creating new, but the drive manager reads the pen as TWO DISKS not two volumes on the same disk.

any ideas on how to disable the second drive from popping up?
    and it has to be an alteration on the drive because i want the second drive to be gone on EVERY computer i use it with

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Try repartitioning and reformating it. I've never owned a pen drive so don't know much about them, but that's what I would try to do if having it split into two devices made me that mad.

However, it may have two completely separate storage chips on it so you may not be able to change things.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

One partition will probably be your storage space (the 3.89gb one) and the other will probably hold some security type application

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The two partitions thing is quite common these days. One part is usualy the encrypted part, as Jack says. The packaging of the drive usualy mentions this.

As far as I know Windows can't repartition drives via USB using the built in tools. You need a special app to do it, some of the drives ship with this app.

If anybody knows of a generic way to repartition an USB drive I'd like to hear of it - I'm asked this so often at the computer fairs.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Doing some digging on this - always useful as I often find out stuff I didn't know.

In this case I hadn't heard of U3 pen drives - something that TomsHardware alterted me to.

Info on U3 here including the logo that would be on the drive is this is such a drive. Included on that site is info on how to remove the U3 system.

Edit: Also there is info on how to stop U3 from autorunning on drive insertion.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

How many drives do you have on your PC?

I only ask as on my own setup, I have drives C, D and E partitioned to make 'best use' of space, with disk X as my optical drive.

When I log on to the work VPN, a login script runs that maps drives F, G and some others to network drives.

With these mappings in place, when I use a pen drive, it won't automatically appear as a drive letter. It tries to assign itself to F, and I have to manually go in to disk management to change the drive letter. Once done, it remembers the setting, but if your 'redundant' 1MB drive keeps picking up the same letter - would it be possible to supress it in the same way?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. marchelyx

marchelyx New Member

How can i play movie with dat file through pen drive to L.G home theater which is not support dat file.?
    I have copied movie from CD to my PC and then copied to pen drive. Home theater is not reading (usb facilities present) the movie. Then tried to convert in AVI file as wel as JPEG file.Still not reading. Any one can help me how to run any movie through pen drive to home theater's USB.

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

why not introduce yourself in the new members area.

As for the pen drive could the transfer rate be very slow or are you recieveing an error message?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi mate, when you plug your USB pen drive in, does the drive show up at the Top of the screen when in my Computer? To the right of the C: Drive? Or does it show up further down the screen?

The reason I ask is because a pen drive should be seen by Windows as a removable drive, and therefore not have more than one partition.

The only way to get a pen drive to have more than one partition is to flip the RMB (Removable Media Bit) and get Windows to look at it as a fixed disk.

If your computer is seeing the pen drive as a fixed disk, download BootIt (Google it). Its got an option to flip the RMB and get it to see it as removable and therefore one partition. Then format it and you should be good to go.

Cheers

James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  10. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Because the OP posted in December 07?! :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Qs,

GBL is referring to

12. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Mmm egg on my face :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA