Disable a Port

Discussion in 'Networks' started by brent, Aug 12, 2003.

1. brent

brent Nibble Poster

Is it at all possible to disable a port at login using some sort of script. I'm wanting to disable port 80 for the internet on my home network. I have a windows 98 PC that logs onto a Win2K server but get the internet through a router and I want to be able to block port 80 on one account. Can this be done with some sort of script? I dont want to use any software for blocking the internet as I dont have the money for new software.

Cheers all. :rambo

2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

As far as i am aware it is not possible to disable port 80 for a particular account on Win98, I would guess that it could be done through policys on the domain, however Win98 will not pickup those policys, the only way, i would believe, would be to use a decent third party proxy running on the server, a good proxy server should be able to tell which user account is accessing the internet and bar the appropiate one.

However they are easily by passed if the user knows what they are doing

HTH

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Windows 98 doesn't have any security built in for what you're talking about. You really need a machine running 2000 Pro or XP to do what you're talking about.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. brent

brent Nibble Poster

Thanks guys for the replys on this, I've been reading in another post I think it was the Linux forum about some software called Smoothwall. Is this a Linux only bit of software, can I make use of it for the above job? Anyone?

:huh

5. brent

brent Nibble Poster

bump!

6. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  7. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hi Brent,

www.smoothwall.org takes you to the freeware version of smoothwall, www.smoothwall.co.uk takes you to the corporate version which you have to pay for. Unfortunately freeware smoothwall isn't going to meet your needs because it only acts as a firewall, it allows all outbound communication but blocks inbound unless you specify otherwise for a web or mail server.

The corporate version will do what you want with the SmoothRule add in unfortunately this option costs.

http://store.smoothwall.ltd.uk/products/smoothrule/

to take a look at the free version go to www.smoothwall.org and half way down the page is the link to the latest stable releases and Betas.

All of which unfortunately doesn't answer your original question. I'll try and have a dig around to see what I can come up with.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  8. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

You could take a look at iProtectYou I've never used it but it sounds just like what you are looking for.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade