Directory Partition replication

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by Phoenix, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Lo all you AD boffs
    the first domain controller in my domain was a vmware box
    it contains two AD directory partitions
    DC=ForestDNSZones,DC=mwb,DC=co,DC=uk
    DC=DomainDNSZones,DC=mwb,DC=co,DC=uk

ive moved all the FSMOs across to a new machine, and now i tried to run DCPromo and it told me that this is the last domai ncontroller with this data,
    so im trying to replicate it with replmon and not getting much sucess, anything clever i need to do to get this working? any help appreciated

cheers guys
    let me know if you need more info

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Off the top of my head and without a great deal of thought...

Start from scratch created a new forrest etc back up the old one restort it onto the new one... I just wonder if vmware is the spanner in the works I always have my DC's on physical machines.

3. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Is the real DC able to communicate with the virtual DC?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

yup
    or i wouldnt of got to transfer the master roles
    and all other replication is working
    its like i CANT replicate these two partitions, but they are to do with DNS and are somewhat important :)

the new machine has dns installed, but not suring the dcpromo phase
    and currently has no zones

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Does replmon say why it's failing if you force replication with thie partner now?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  6. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

Off the top of my head... isn't there an ad migration tool, point it to the ntds and import it....

Certifications: A+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Exchange
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Phoenix, are your DNS zones AD integrated? If so, they should replicate along with Active Directory as the zone info is stored within AD.

If they are not, then you would need to do a zone transfer by configuring another DNS server and enabling zone transfers from the properties of the forward and reverse look up zones.

I might be going off on a tangent here because I am not quite sure what it is you are trying to do?

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

Am I right in thinking all fsmo's have been transfered to a member server or are they on a standalone?

Have you run a dcpromo on this new server and allowed replication to take place prior to demoting the vmware box?

I'm trying to get my head round how AD will act when all fsmo's are taken away from a gc. It may be that some SRV records are causing a problem.

I'll be interested to know what it is, keep us informed!

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ah, the penny has dropped, it is Server 2003 yes :rolleyes:

And you are indeed using AD integrated zones. So, to resolve this problem of the DNS zone info being orphaned, I would switch from AD integrated to a standard primary zone, hence the zone is not stored in AD anymore and you will be able to safely demote the VMWare DC once you have DNS configured on the other machine .

Afterwards you can switch back to AD integrated if you want to.

Shaunyboy FSMO's can only be seized by domain controllers as they have to be participating *fully* in active directory.

Pete

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

Cheers Pete,

I kinda thought as much but figured something else must be afoot as replication should've taken place on the new fsmo host (for it to be a fsmo host it must be part of the AD domain, so should be aware of the AD, so should have a copy of it if it's a dc, so replication shouldn't be necessary).

Thanks again,

Shaun