Difficulty of the CCNA exam

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Advanced04, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Advanced04

Advanced04 New Member

Im going to be taking the exam soon, is it really difficult? or am I blowing it out of proportion? i see the new one is only 55-60 questions long and takes 90 min's. Im just afraid of failure.

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Thats all open to debate, depends on the ammount of stuff you truley have understood, and not just tried to memorise, the CCNA covers an enourmous ammount of material from IOS configuration to routing protocols and VLSM/CIDR, your covering a large scope of information (most books on the subject are around the 500-700 page mark!) the numer of questions doesnt mean much, your looking at 90 seconds per question, thas not long if your still counting fingers to work out binary / decimal conversions and subnet masks! :)

It can be one hell of a beastly exam, but if you have prepped well and learned your material, you should do fine mate
    Good luck! its a rewarding cookie to crack :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

One tip I'd have is be able to subnet in your head in nano seconds it will save you time.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I went through semesters 1 through 4 of the Cisco netacademy and even after I finished, I still didn't take the CCNA exam for over 4 months. I didn't feel like I knew the material well enough. I borrowed the official Cisco study guide from one of my instructors and went over it with a fine-toothed comb.

Phoenix is correct in saying that the CCNA covers a very broad field of knowledge and you really do need to have the hands-on experience to pull it off. In addition, what I needed to do because I'm such a visual learner, is I broke everything down into their basic categories and diagramed out all the connections and key points. It was the only way I could hold it all in my memory all at once.

I passed the first go around but it wasn't as pretty as I had hoped it would be. There are sections of the exam where you are confronted with a simulations that acts just as if you are consoled into a router. The majority of commands are supported (no "?" tho...they won't make it that easy) so you'd better know your stuff.

Hard and easy is pretty relative. Depends on how much you take to the material. Also, anxiety will take it's toll. Even if you do well in mock exams, take about 10 to 15 % off of your score to account for anxiety...that is unless ice water runs through your veins. :P

Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Chris Bryant, CCIE

Chris Bryant, CCIE Bit Poster

We all get a little nervous / anxious before an exam, but the one thing that defeats nervousness is proper preparation.

As you continue your studies, and get some hands-on work, you'll find that nervousness disappears.

There's one important mental aspect of the CCNA exams that you must not overlook. Do not look on the exam as something to dread; look at it as an opportunity to prove you know what you're talking about.

The proper approach for the CCNA is that when you arrive at the testing room, you're mentally already a CCNA; you're only there to make it official.

Chris Bryant
    CCIE #12933

Certifications: CCIE #12933, CCNP, CCNA
    WIP: CCIE Voice
  6. harvey1

harvey1 New Member

I have passed the CCIE written exam and am tyring to get a game plan for the lab. I have no clue where to start or what to study. Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Be :eek: n

7. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

That's a fear you need to get over. EVERYONE fails an exam, including the author of this post. :D

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  8. sonics46

sonics46 New Member

Yes, preparation does help!

By creating a self-perceived identity that I am already a CCNA, am well-prepared for any sort of exam proving such, and can carry out any duties any typical CCNA would do on a daily basis, I can enter that exam room much more relaxed, calm. and self-confident. It's that mental image of "hey, I'm a CCNA because I've studied this stuff for weeks, months, etc., have hands-on experience, am intelligent and highly articulate, have a knack for computers, etc.," that is going to keep me calm and mentally prepared for the exam. I'm ready to show you what I'm made of and this exam is evidence of that, nothing more.

The exam is simply proof of the pre-existing fact that, "hey, I'm a CCNA, and I have more than plenty to offer to a company that needs my help!" Self-image, self-confidence, and identity is 80% of the battle ("80/20 Rule," as described by Brian Tracy).

So, go in prepared. Take some sample tests after thorougly studying the material. And show 'em what you're made of. You're smart. You're a techie. And here's your chance to show 'em what you're made of!!

-Francisco F.
    CCNA in training

9. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Not to point this out to you but this thread is 5 years old.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  10. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Actually over 6 years old!

11. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Not until August 2011 :tongue

Edit: Ahh balls I was going off the last post not the first post. You win :biggrin

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  12. Hanieh

Hanieh New Member

Hi all ,

I want to get CCNA certification , does Exam 640-802 have practical section ?? I wonder if the exam is only multiple-choice ??

would you please give me a hand about this exam ... I have no experience in network ...

I have enough time to study ... which books do you recommend me to study (which one at first?)... I want detailed guide in this case .. step by step what should I do !

Thanks a lot in advance .

Regards,
    Hanieh

WIP: CCNA