Differnce between c# and c#3

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by jayford, Aug 21, 2008.

1. jayford

jayford Bit Poster

Hi Guys

Just a little curious as to whether the difference between c# version 2005 and c# version 3 are really that huge. I'm currently and absolute noob with c# and had been wanting to learn it for quite a while and on impulse ( and by impulse I mean after having read many, many reviews) bought the c# 2005 step by step book, which I have finally started reading off and on ( despite currently studying for the MCITP developer track :rolleyes:).

While I have a looooooong way to go before even thinking of looking at the MCPD exams, I'm curious whether it is worth continuing with the step by step book as the 2008 version of c# is now available.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I just wanted some informed feedback before making too much headway into the book and then having to re-learn everything all over again.

All comments and advice are appreciated :biggrin

Certifications: HND Computing, procrastination+
    WIP: MCITP Developer, Bsc Info & Comp
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'm certainly no expert on C# - IMHO as it is a proprietary language there is too much scope for things being changed for the sake of change!

As far as I can tell version 3 is 'just' some extensions to the language rather than a rewrite.

I found this page on the 'net which might give you some info.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I can't speak directly to the changes between C# 2005 and C# 2008, but I will say that you'd be fine continuing with your current book. Regardless of the language additions, the basics of the language will remain largely unchanged. Once you learned the basics, then you can start learning the new features of the language. Thus, in my opinion, I think you'd be fine continuing on your current path. Good luck!

4. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I'm also not a C# expert, but what you should be noticing if you 'upgrade' to the latest version is that some features might have been 'deprecated' as well as others added, as Harry has mentioned. When a language feature is deprecated it means that it has either been abandoned completely, or succeeded by an improved or simply revised method of performing the same task. Use of deprecated functionality normally manifest themselves as warnings with suggestions on how to use the new method.

What I mean by all this is that as you are just learning rather than studying for a cert, so don't feel pressured into using the latest kit. You are learning about programming rather than specific standards at this point. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.