Did I over/under cook it (cv help) ?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by scott-jordy, Nov 22, 2009.

1. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

Hi everyone hope you can help out again, looks like after 100+ applications im still not making it to any interviews and can only guess my cv might be to detailed or not detailed enough.

If anyone gets a chance could you have a look over it see if im getting it right thanks.

Sorry to sound like a noob but im still getting my grounding with this cv and want to get attention for the right reasons, this is quite new to me has my last paid job was back in 2000 this was due to becoming a sole parent to my little girl at 3 and an accident I had which has stopped me from a lot things since but not from learning and trying to get back to work after a few false starts with jobcentre advice over the last 3 years I beleive ive got it right this time.

Thanks again for any help or cirticism you can give or just to tell me if im on the right track :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
    Certifications: Ecdl A+ Mcp 271
    WIP: Network + Mcdst Then ????
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I am not an expert but I would get rid of the MS and CompTIA logos.
    I would also double check the grammar, spelling and punctation as I've seen some mistakes there.
    When stating that you work towards a cert, don't say it's your cert. Use something along: "I am studying to achieve MCSDT qualification/certificate". Layout could do with some revamp. One type of font would look a lot better (that aims especially at references in italics).
    Also I think you should capitalise things like cert names and GCSE's.

I won't say anything about the content as it seems ok to me but as I said I'm not an expert so probably one of the more experienced members (and perhaps someone who's responsible for hiring/recruitment) will be able to point you in the right direction.

Sorry for the lack of integrity in my post. I was typing as I was going along.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Your profile is the biggest problem mate.

The first thing I read on your CV is “I have not been in employment for many years………”, does this make me want to read on? No. I suspect many people who have read your CV have binned it after reading that part despite you having good things on your CV such as IT certification and also volunteering as well.

Revise the profile section to something like “Comptia A+ professional looking for entry level IT support position to further career whilst studying for MCDST exams…”

From that one part alone I know.
    - You have A+ certification
    - You want an entry level job
    - You are studying for further IT certifications.

Then you can go on to mention what you have gained from volunteering at the council.

Hope this helps mate.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

Thanks for your replies

I used word spell check and I must of missed some bits with it thanks for the pointer to the problem and some great ideas on my wording regards the certs.

Yes i was never really to sure of how honest to be with the profile due to my time out of work but its good to have a fresh set of eyes on it and once again a great idea on wording with the profile I think I better put a few more hours in to it.

Any more comments on the logos should I get rid or keep has was trying to liven it up a bit to stand out when its read over quickly.

Thanks again for your replies:D

5. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Sparky is right, remember your CV is your sales pitch. You've got to try to sell yourself to attract employers to you. Its just my opinion but that first paragraph about you injury etc could be left out and explained at the interview stage if asked.

Volunteer work, being a family man and having a good entry cert show you have potential, you just need to work on selling yourself better IMO. Don't get disheartened, its a hard time to get your 1st break as you'll read on here using the search.

Good luck. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Always be honest IMO but leave out anything they don't need to know if you get me. For instance, I've got an MCSA: Security, worked really hard for it, but I wouldn't put that I only passed 291 on the second attempt because that takes the shine off my MCSA, know what I mean?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

Yes i get what your saying save it for the interview if they ask why ive had an employment gap go into a bit of detail but bring up good points to like that ive been keeping my self busy learning etc

Thanks everyone for your help with this scott.

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It just needs a bit of attention.

As has already been mentioned, the big killer is the first paragraph.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but it tells me you've got a history of long term sick (fair or unfair, it's not a good thing), an injury to your hand (are you going to be restricted in the work you do - will you need time off after doing lots of typing? Under the disability regs it shouldn't matter, but no employer wants to invite potential problems) and that you have sole responsibility for your daughter (are you going to have to take time off every time she's sick etc).

You would improve things just by taking it out completely, it reads like an excuse.

Then, on a fairly simple level, you're using three different fonts. Use one - maybe two.
    Just try and get it looking uniform. At the moment it looks as if it's been copied and pasted from several different sources.

Other than that, you've got fairly solid content especially with your volunteer work so I don't think you need to worry about it being a lost cause!

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

As mentioned, there is a lot of good stuff in this CV, but you need to be less "apologetic" in your approach. yes you have been out of work, im not saying hide it at all, but i dont necessarily think it needs a mention, particularly not in the first line. i can see from your volunteer work and certs that you have already worked hard to get into IT, that counts for a lot. focus on this.

One other small point, although we applied for it, Blackpool is not a city as mentioned in your volunteer work. Sounds picky but if i pick up on this im sure a reader will.

Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  10. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

Thanks for all your comments its been a great eye opener and some ideas that id missed out on I appreciate the replies as its helped it look more tidy and pointed out things ive missed or been to over disclosed.

Ive realised about my spelling, id gone and uploaded the unedited version that I have which ive most probably been sending to employers oops thats explained a lot on my lack of replies.

Thanks everyone that commented and pointed me in the right direction :D

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have noticed that you have been using the word *has* when you should be using *as*. You have done this at least three times from my quick scan through.

Example..

As others have said, the content is fine but you need to get someone to go through it carefully and proof read it, and trim off the fat.

Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. MichaelUK

MichaelUK Bit Poster

Scott

Just had a quick look at your CV and it does need a rehash and a few changes here or there.
    If you have made any changes from the original from what the guys have already spoken about re-post it and i will have a look for you within the next day or so.

Hopefully i can help you out and get you to the interview stage.

Michael

Certifications: A+ taken back in 1997
    WIP: Network+
  13. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

As people have mentioned the actual meat of your CV is good, I just think it needs to be a bit more eye catching...

Rather than the first bit in your statement as to why you have been out of work, as someone else said I would leave that out and just make a statement about what you are looking for in terms of work goals etc

I would also trim the skills right down to shorter statements - people want to be able to just look at your CV and see EXACTLY what your skills are, so keep them very brief rather than what you have, specially nowadays with 10x more applicants, people need to see what you can do within a few seconds of looking at your CV!

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  14. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

Hi thanks for offering your help im still working on my profile just took a few ideas/suggestions to get me started also shortening the skills down and getting the fonts right a little punctuation aswell.

Ive posted my most current below to view but still working on it thanks for any opinions help you can give hopefully have it done tomorrow.

Attached Files:

15. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

well if it helps at all scott I have just posted my CV in this same section too, so take a look, I'm not saying mine is perfect (people may pan it :D ) but check it out anyway :)

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  16. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

Cheers mikey ill go check it out

17. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Hi mate.. I really hope you don't find this offensive but I find it really really hard to read that CV. The layout content is decent, but from a grammatical point of view it is rather bad.

In all honesty, I would suggest a total rewrite of as much as you can do or get done with the help of somebody who has better english. I'd really like to help but don't have the time at the moment :(

Best of luck!:D

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  18. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

Hi dazza yes i agree on the total rewrite also my grammer isnt the best i more about the technical side of things left school to early but will be trying to revamp and also my fonts are to small for a quick scan over from potential employers thanks for the reply:D

19. MichaelUK

MichaelUK Bit Poster

Scott

I have rehashed and reformat your CV for you please have a look and see what you think.
    I have left some of the areas for you to fill in since i do not know you.
    Hope this helps.

Michael

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+ taken back in 1997
    WIP: Network+
  20. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Not bad.
    I wouldn't stick certs under 'education' though, I'd stick them under 'professional development' or something like that. Justs makes it clearer.

The personal statement at the beginning is a bit too long, and should be in the third person.

But it's nice to see someone prepared to do some work to help out rather than just giving dodgy advice like I do!

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD