Did anyone else ever.....

Discussion in 'A+' started by mickaveli2001, Oct 4, 2008.

1. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

Get a little dry when it came to reading through Mike Meyers A+ Bible?? I've not even sniffed at it for over a month now, and basically my lifestyle right now is pretty hectic, and I'm working an extra day at work (sun-fri now) just to earn extra money to pay off for debts in the new house (furniture, kitchen cooker, washing machine etc.) so by the time I do get in, and have a 2 year old, and house cleaning to contend with, the little time I do get is spent lazing on the couch tired and worn out, and although I did find the time to squeeze in some reading time, I don't always have the time right now. It is kind of worrying that I am not consistent with it. Is, or was anyone else like me? Or did you all pretty much have a set number of hours and days you read the book or other books?

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep it happened to me just because I work stupid shifts. I ended up over studying and burning myself out after got back into the book. Don't make the same mistake I did. Don't overcompensate for the break you are taking.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

I know what you're saying. I'm in a similar boat. Young son (currently 6mths old), and (step-)daughter, 7, and a very full on job. It's hard.

IMHO the best way to study is to let your hectic, stressful life motivate you. Like "This has to change! I must study!" Imagine finishing as the way to start your real career, to change your life on to something more viable. Something better.

I mean, I can empathise. And I'm sure most of us here can. But my sympathies ain't gonna pay your bills. You've just gotta do this, man! For you. For your kid. If you have to, get out of the house and study at the library. Go for it and don't let anything stop ya. It's for the future.

I guess I'm saying - to use an old gem - keep your eyes on the prize!

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Yeah totally agree with zig, when life's hetic, you think to yourself how can I even fit in learning about N+.

But you've got to, otherwise things won't change. IMHO days and weeks just seem to fly by! Everytime I spend away from learning my N+ I feel guilty:( but then again I find I have to sacarfice things to fit it in! Such as going out with friends or the girlfriend or watching TV.

Whe I first started learning A+ I use Mike meyers Passport book, later on I decided to get the All in one book by mike meyers and almost had a heart attack at the size of the thing!:ohmy

I couldn't get motivated to read through it all and ended up using it as weightlifting object rather than reading it!:biggrin But what did get me motivated was doing the question and quiz here on CF and on examcram.

If you search the threads you'll find some by Boyce and Mr Cheeks!

Kept me motivated!8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The A+ was the first cert that I went for, and while the Meyers book was a great reference, I found it to be too indepth (in other words boring), granted that was in 2004 so things may have changed. I recommend getting a CBT, the downside is that it's more expensive. Other things to look at are: audio training, flash cards & games.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Yes I read it quite quickly initially then it steadied off, trouble being that I don't have kids or any of that so I dont have any real excuse, that said i am almost through it then will maybe have a run on the practice exams and a re-cap, plus I have the passports book, thought that would be a less in depth version but its totally different, I find the writing style to be a lot different as well.

Anyway, don't worry, you've slacked off a little but it doesn't make you a bad person, everybody does it, My problem is that I dont want to just read 10-20 pages here or there else I forget where I was.

WIP: A+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Just pick it back up and study when you can. Set yourself a schedule, if possible; if not, just do it whenever you get the motivation. Ultimately, you are the only one who can motivate yourself to study.

I don't know anyone who doesn't have a hectic life these days. Even people without a spouse and kids have things hectic with "other stuff" that is just as important to them as my family is to me. We're ALL busy. But if it's important to you, you'll do whatever it takes to get the studying in... first thing in the morning... during lunch... an hour after work... right before bed... on the throne... whenever. Just do it. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

-----

9. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

i've just completed the first read, it took me about a month. but then again reading books is a natural part of my life, it just meant i substituted literature for a reference book.

like exercise, it has to be part of a regular routine otherwise the short breaks between chapters can get to the point where you lose inertia.

personally i always read in my lunch hour & just before i go to sleep, so i can always get at least 5hrs in a week. don't forget you also have the ebook on the cd, so like me you may be able to supplement your reading when you should be working. :)

10. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I couldn't agree more the ebook makes it a lot easier to go through, it just doesn't seem as long when you use it. I only used the book whilst i was away from a PC and when referring to snippets.

I hope other books eg Microsoft press also come in ebook format. If not all pay a kid to scan them in for me.

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Don't worry mate. There's a lot of us in the same boat. I have two VERY demanding kids, a wife that demands perfection, and a job that takes up 10-16 hours per day.

I got around some of the same problems with the reward system. For every hour of study that I did I'd reward myself with the same amount of toime playing Guild Wars.

I also studied at lunch time and also during times that I had to wait.

At other times I'd wait until the family were all in bed and then I'd have 'my' time (to study).

Hang in there mate, it's worth the effort.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Haha, precisely (thought it was only me who did this)

Ive watched CBTs while on my exercise bike, washing dishes, doing ironing, cooking, granted you should give studing something 100% attention (at least twice), however if you hear these things repeatedly in the background they do sink in much easier when you are in dedicated study mode

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  13. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Agreed. When I was living in Japan, and studying Japanese, my friend was reading a book on mastering a language in a year.
    While this book did have a bit of pop-psyche nonsense in it, one of its pragmatic hints was to have a vocab flickbook/cards on you at all times - then you can revise vocab in what would otherwise be wasted time. Interestingly, examples he gave for wasted time included: when you're queuing to pay for something, when you're on the throne, when you phone someone and you're waiting for them to pick up, waiting for the toaster to pop...
    When you think of wasted time in these kinda terms, it does suddenly produce a huge amount of study time.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  14. michael.omahoney

michael.omahoney New Member

Hi Folks
    I'm new to this forum. Just started the A+ two weeks ago - doing an on-line distance learning course, and following it up with an N+ It is interesting reading your comments, and I will keep in touch through this forum.
    Cheers

Certifications: ITQ Level2 Essential IT Skills for Work
    WIP: Possibly a MCSA
  15. Unemployed Diogenes

Unemployed Diogenes Nibble Poster

The way I go through the book. First you must know i speak native Dutch.

I read a page and write down on the pages of the book the important things very short in scheme and/off sentences. I understand it full than and when I've read the book out i read back my notices in dutch.

I think for me is this a good strategy and I think it works when you native language is English too.

Of course you don't have to write your notes not in dutch in the book then :biggrin

I just start chapter 6 now... 18 chapters to go.. :-s

Certifications: A+, Bachelor IT
    WIP: CCNA